Microsoft asks consumers to

forget Windows Live Photo Gallery (iPhoto) and Windows Live Movie Maker (iMovie, iDVD) and Windows Live Skydrive (iDisk or whatever the current name)?

well the photo programs are the same, idvd is only for watching movies, windows live skydrive didn't come with mine so I don't know what your talking about.... you still have to buy extra stuff even on a mac to make good movies, and same with pc, and you can buy nero , and powerdvd, and divx .

well the photo programs are the same, idvd is only for watching movies, windows live skydrive didn't come with mine so I don't know what your talking about.... you still have to buy extra stuff even on a mac to make good movies, and same with pc, and you can buy nero , and powerdvd, and divx .

What if people don't want to buy it?

The price of iLife is built into the price of OSX. But the vast majority of iLife, I never use and uninstall immediately. From a consumer standpoint, it is almost always better to buy what you need after the fact than to be forced to buy things you don't need.

For me, bundled software is a MINUS, not a plus.

I don't make music. I don't make movies. I don't make photo slideshows. I don't want to pay for that stuff.

For people wanting a mac, but not wanting to spend the money on one, just build a pc and install os x. make a hackintosh. I know loads of people that have done it, prefer OS X to windows but the pc parts are cheaper

For people wanting a mac, but not wanting to spend the money on one, just build a pc and install os x. make a hackintosh. I know loads of people that have done it, prefer OS X to windows but the pc parts are cheaper

I used to have one. lol

My mom "upgraded" from her mac mini (g4) to a hack (not done by her of course :/)

This requires very specific hardware to work properly. Windows and Linux run on a much broader range of hardware.

What if people don't want to buy it?

The price of iLife is built into the price of OSX. But the vast majority of iLife, I never use and uninstall immediately. From a consumer standpoint, it is almost always better to buy what you need after the fact than to be forced to buy things you don't need.

For me, bundled software is a MINUS, not a plus.

I don't make music. I don't make movies. I don't make photo slideshows. I don't want to pay for that stuff.

What about other computers that come with only a trial of Norton, Office Starter I think it is called, a few advertisements, and stuff that just slows the system down?

What about other computers that come with only a trial of Norton, Office Starter I think it is called, a few advertisements, and stuff that just slows the system down?

Those software are the complete opposite of Apple bundled software.

This is how it works:

Those companies pay computer manufacturers to bundle their adware with computers which decreases the cost to the consumer of those computers. That's why you have to pay a fee to have the software removed from your computer if you are buying directly from a computer manufacturer.

In other words, the cost of the computer is subsidized by those companies.

Apple, on the other hand, bundles paid software with your computer which essentially forces you to buy the software and increases the sticker price of the computer.

Dell doesn't force you to buy the trial software. In fact, Dell essentially pays you--via an implicit discount--to accept the software.

http://www.quickonlinetips.com/archives/2007/06/dell-removes-bloatware-no-pre-installed-software-options/

software manufacturers sign licensing agreements with Dell to have their software (usually a ?lite? or trial-ware version) pre-installed on Dell computers and pay Dell a fee for the privilege.

B. Cheap plastic (PC) vs aluminum (Macbook Pro/Air, iMac, Mac Pro, ...). It might work for you, but I cannot tell you how many computers I have had to fix where the plastic has been beaten up like crazy. Cracks everywhere, giant portions missing around the monitor, and all those kind of things. You might be careful with your computer, but most of the people are not.

Well you can get very sturdy aluminium-laptops like the HP Elitebook-series for a great price. And the Thinkpads show that you can built durable laptops with plastic while Apples Macbooks (non-pro) are the opposite, cracks especially around the hinges were/are very commonplace.

i did the math and still got a mpb :)

lol. I was going to type the exact same thing. However, I still install Windows 7 and boot directly to it instead of OS X.

It's really hard not to love the MacBook Pros when you compare it to other laptops. Even though my previous Envy 14 was a great laptop, I was still envious of the MBP. Fortunately my parents needed a new laptop and I pounced on the opportunity. :laugh:

They should hire someone to spellcheck their comparison page; "design" is spelled "deisgn" on the 21,5" iMac comparison page. It looks bad. Plus the whole site looks awfully packed on Safari for Mac. Are they targeting Mac users or not? "So Microsoft can't code a decent looking site. I wonder what their Windows OS is like if this is what's being presented to me"

And it looks to me as they are trying to make the iMac 21,5" more expensive than it really is. Because the VAIO is set at nearly the same price as the iMac. The only difference is a "," ? I'm under the impression that $1199 and $1,199 is the same amount of money. I would opt for the iMac based on that table.

I'm a bit confused why MS is doing this anyway, they're not directly competing with Apple, Apple is competing more with Dell, Sony, etc.

MS might put the operating on the Dell and Sony but it can also be put on the Mac, maybe they would be better running an advert that says, Windows can run on your mac aswell

I see the point, if we bought everything by looking at pricetags, everyone would eat supermarket own brand food, drive around in small French cars, live in flats in northern towns, and generally just settle for "that'll do". Apple is a premium hardware manufacturer and that's reflected in the price, but you get a better built product at the end of it.

I lol'd at the iMac 27" comparison though. The nearest screen size they can get is 23.6". Not really the same thing, is it?

Maybe the cases are, but the memory isn't etched with gold. But Apple still will charge you an extra $200 for an additional 4 GB of RAM. Wanting to pay less than that for memory isn't saying "that'll do", it's just not being a sucker.

Maybe the cases are, but the memory isn't etched with gold. But Apple still will charge you an extra $200 for an additional 4 GB of RAM. Wanting to pay less than that for memory isn't saying "that'll do", it's just not being a sucker.

Again why are people getting on Apple for this? Dell, HP, and any other company does the exact same thing!

More memory (RAM) increases overall performance and enables your computer to run more applications at the same time.

4GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs [included in Price]

6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz- 4 DIMMs [Add $80.00 or $3.00/month1]

Better for Multi-tasking!

8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs [Add $140.00 or $5.00/month1]

12GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs [Add $300.00 or $9.00/month1]

16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs [Add $500.00 or $15.00/month1]

Okay so Dell is $60 cheaper, but it is still pretty close.

I need to throw in the whole "HD replacements only from Apple now" piece of recent news and expand on how it can eventually apply to "only Apple RAM supported motherboards"....

Very funny whoever sent me a request on facebook with my name on it , but a old apple logo as the picture! sooo someone made a fake facebook page with my name..... hmmm wonder who that could be