Microsoft asks consumers to

Terrible analogy, to say the least. In this case, you're actually getting superior hardware for a lower price.

In that you get lower quality display and stuff built from plastic? :/

Terrible analogy, to say the least. In this case, you're actually getting superior hardware for a lower price.

And a million viruses, spyware, forced AV and a mediocre OS. All a professional could ask for.

You have no idea what an Atom can do do you ? the MBA has an old C2D, The Atoms are new and more powerful than you seem to think.

and security protection IS purchase separately on Mac. how is that wrong. running OSX without protection is just as dangerous (or just as safe) as running Vista/Win7 without it.

The Atom CPU is very under powered compared to the C2D in the MBA. I've owned 2 computers that had Atom CPUs and I've had a chance to play around with the latest Atoms and they haven't managed to win me back.

As for the protection issue I completely disagree but I doubt it's the place for that ;)

Why ? because it looks nicer, cause it's not more solid, it doesn't handle shock or damage any better, in fact, mostly it will handle it worse. it scratches easier.

again, why would you take aluminum over plastic ?

Yes it looks nicer and it's a lot sturdier than you make it sound. I've owned well over 8 macbook (mostly pros and the one air that I bought a couple weeks ago), and I managed to keep them all in MINT condition :/

And I disagree with your assessment that plastic is more scratch resistant. I'd say instead that black plastic hides scratches well in mediocre lighting but if you show the plastic in direct sunlight or under good indoor lighting your see tons of hairline scratches. Something my anodised aluminium MacBook Pro does not suffer from.

Again, something that can be fixed by a $3 transparent adhesive sleeve, if it really matters to you. But hey, whatever makes you feel good about donating $200-300 worth of Apple tax to Steve Jobs.

I like how tables have turned now that Microsoft is running a somewhat not-true marketing campaign. People didn't have this "Oh they are wrong, it's not XXX" reaction when Apple was running a mostly false campaign in Get a Mac ads.

And a million viruses, spyware, forced AV and a mediocre OS. All a professional could ask for.

So when the terrible analogies get called out, you resort to FUD? Cool.

The Atom CPU is very under powered compared to the C2D in the MBA. I've owned 2 computers that had Atom CPUs and I've had a chance to play around with the latest Atoms and they haven't managed to win me back.

As for the protection issue I completely disagree but I doubt it's the place for that ;)

Yes it looks nicer and it's a lot sturdier than you make it sound. I've owned well over 8 macbook (mostly pros and the one air that I bought a couple weeks ago), and I managed to keep them all in MINT condition :/

why would you need 8 MacBooks in such a short span (2006-2011)? :unsure:

Symantec already stated that there were over a million viruses and spyware for Windows based systems. Hardly FUD, you can easily Google it - also I don't know anyone who doesn't run an AV or a spyware scanner on their machine. No FUD there either.

I'm not saying there won't be viruses or malware for Mac in the future but currently there's practically none. Which means less downtime, less spent resources and overall a better experience which all translate to higher value and lower cost of ownership.

Of course it's FUD, everybody knows that Mac's are immune to malware. Oh, wait..

Your just looking at raw performance data. You are forgetting about size, weight, display quality, backlight keyboards, trackpad quality, material use like Glass on the display, Glass on the Trackpad, Aluminium enclosures, Thunderbolt 10Gb/ps connectors.

This is just like focusing on the price if you only focus on raw performance. A rocket will get you to the moon but you won't want to drive one to work.

Thunderbolt? is that really useful? and I would take raw performance over looks any day. (and I still agree that Apple has better build quality than most cheaper laptops)

why would you need 8 MacBooks in such a short span (2006-2011)? :unsure:

I buy and sell my computers a lot. It allows me to keep the most current models pretty much for free. All my data is stored on my time machine so when I get a new computer I just reload my user account from there and it takes a few minutes and I'm up and running :)

Oh, and as for the "thinner and lighter!!!11one" arguments.. It's been a long time since I had a laptop that was annoyingly heavy to carry. If I had a MacBook Air, I'd be afraid of breaking it. If you can't handle a couple of pounds of hardware, you're probably about 8 years old and too young to have a nice laptop anyway.

I'm honestly no Mac-basher, I used them some in college (they belonged to the school) and they are nice, but I just couldn't see myself spending the extra money for one even if I had it.

Your just looking at raw performance data. You are forgetting about size, weight, display quality, backlight keyboards, trackpad quality, material use like Glass on the display, Glass on the Trackpad, Aluminium enclosures, Thunderbolt 10Gb/ps connectors.

The differences are miniscule as far as I'm concerned. Using more expensive materials in particular is silly IMO, I'm all for cheaper, more lightweight materials that look and work just as well.

The differences are miniscule as far as I'm concerned. Using more expensive materials in particular is silly IMO, I'm all for cheaper, more lightweight materials that look and work just as well.

A parallel - I bought a Samsung Focus a few months back. Most people call it cheap plastic but I prefer it over iPhone4 because it practically weighs nothing and has a much sleeker look.

You bet I'm serious, I don't see how having a mac would decrease your WPM :wacko:

I am implying that the keyboard simply sucks.

Symantec already stated that there were over a million viruses and spyware for Windows based systems. Hardly FUD, you can easily Google it - also I don't know anyone who doesn't run an AV or a spyware scanner on their machine. No FUD there either.

So?

That made just about as much sense as staying off the road completely just because of "alarming" road accident statistics.

Sorry, but it's plain, tired FUD. I've run without an AV without a decade, and I've never got infected. Just because there are "x million of viruses and spyware" out there doesn't mean they're suddenly all over your machine. I suspect you know that just as well as everyone else, except that you're just desperate for something to bash Windows with.

I am implying that you have no clue what you're talking about.

I am implying that you have no clue what you're talking about.

+1

If the keyboard can somehow decrease your WPM you're typing it wrong :rofl:

The 'Chick Pea' keyboard that current Macs have is really nice to type on and doesn't lower ones WPM. I dunno where you heard that but it's just rubbish.

So?

That made just about as much sense as staying off the road completely just because of "alarming" road accident statistics.

Sorry, but it's plain, tired FUD. I've run without an AV without a decade, and I've never got infected. Just because there are "x million of viruses and spyware" out there doesn't mean they're suddenly all over your machine. I suspect you know that just as well as everyone else, except that you're just desperate for something to bash Windows with.

So you could be infected right now and wouldn't even know it. :huh:

Sorry, but it's plain, tired FUD. I've run without an AV without a decade, and I've never got infected. Just because there are "x million of viruses and spyware" out there doesn't mean they're suddenly all over your machine.

And computer repair shops have to deal with this stuff every single day as do business users. Naturally all that is "fud" according to you.

my MBP has one of the nicest laptop keyboards iv ever used. same goes for the wireless keyboard on my iMac. both great pieces of kit.

And I disagree with your assessment that plastic is more scratch resistant. I'd say instead that black plastic hides scratches well in mediocre lighting but if you show the plastic in direct sunlight or under good indoor lighting your see tons of hairline scratches. Something my anodised aluminium MacBook Pro does not suffer from.

Err yes it does. and your claim only works for glossy plasic cases, not matte plastic which pretty much doesn't scratch, not untill you giuge it, and at that point, on an aluminum mac, not only will you have gouged it, with the force at that point, you will also have caused a logn deep dent.

As for dropping, I don't think anyone goes around dropping their expensive computer stuff purposely, but you see, there are these things called accidents, and they do happen.

Factor in Warrenty Support.

And the PC Manufact's will blame MS, and Ms will blame the Manufact's. A Mac screws up, there is only Apple, Apples OS, Apples System.

And computer repair shops have to deal with this stuff every single day as do business users. Naturally all that is "fud" according to you.

And what about the OSX users that get hit with malware?