Microsoft asks consumers to

So you could be infected right now and wouldn't even know it. :huh:

As could your Mac and Linux systems. And you'd have to pay for overpriced security software on top of your overpriced Mac, as opposed to a variety of free and effective security software for Windows. Your point?

Err yes it does. and your claim only works for glossy plasic cases, not matte plastic which pretty much doesn't scratch, not untill you giuge it, and at that point, on an aluminum mac, not only will you have gouged it, with the force at that point, you will also have caused a logn deep dent.

As for dropping, I don't think anyone goes around dropping their expensive computer stuff purposely, but you see, there are these things called accidents, and they do happen.

Maybe accidents with laptops happen to people who take silly risks but I'm someone that is very careful with my equipment and thus does not drop it. Maybe you're one of them people that constantly has a dinged up car from tons of 'accidents' I don't know? - But that isn't me.

I've had a PowerBook and two MacBook Pros both without scratches. Even on the base which I've rested on many surfaces over the years.

As could your Mac and Linux systems. And you'd have to pay for overpriced security software on top of your overpriced Mac, as opposed to a variety of free and effective security software for Windows. Your point?

My point was that you claim your infection free but you don't run any protection software to know that. Also Macs have not even 1% of the malware that is out there for PC and all of the ones declared so far are found inside the installers of pirated software off shady websites. Pirates get what they deserve in that regard.

And btw there is such little malware and viruses and worms for OS X that Apple just includes a plist file in the operating system that they update periodically to detect the bad software. It has only a handful of entries at this point. So no expensive software is needed to detect and deny malicious software.

my MBP has one of the nicest laptop keyboards iv ever used. same goes for the wireless keyboard on my iMac. both great pieces of kit.

Its the same KB a Sony, Dell, and HP have beside me, standard "Chicklet" style. I think HP is comming out with a wireless keyboard that is close to the same design of the Apple Wireless Keyboard.

And computer repair shops have to deal with this stuff every single day as do business users. Naturally all that is "fud" according to you.

Unless you actually back up your claims with credible statistics on the percentages of infected vs uninfected machines - yep, you guessed it, the same old predictable FUD as usual.

And a million viruses, spyware, forced AV and a mediocre OS. All a professional could ask for.

Windows has like 80% market share; it's no surprise most viruses and spyware are targeting windows. Just wait until osx gains some market share; you're going to be in the same boat, except you'll be using mediocre, undeveloped AV software. There is no forced antivirus; you don't have to use Security Essentials. I'm not sure what you're talking about there. In any case, MSE is much better than a lot of the other AV suites... it's not annoying, it doesn't suck up resources, it just sits in the system tray, and it works good.

As for the mediocre OS remark, fair enough - please stay on OSX. Have fun with your monitor being built into your computer, having to buy proprietary adapters in order to connect any kind of cable to anything, not being able to upgrade any of your hardware, wasting your money on apple tax, and going around to every Windows blog post imaginable and complaining about the 'inferior os' and doing the whole apple thing. Everything a hipster could ask for.

Seriously, though.. if mac is so awesome, why are there so many mac hipsters just trolling all the windows blogs and press? Don't you have something better to do? I mean after all, you are on the superior OS! Why are you wasting your time mingling with PC people? Go straighten your hair, make some pretty pictures in photoshop, grab a san pellegrino lemonada, and take your vespa out for a spin. It's absolutely hilarious. "My OS is way better, yet all I do on my OS is troll windows forums". Do they have an app for that? Where you can just troll windows posts?

And what about the OSX users that get hit with malware?

Wow did you just read about that on the front page of neowin,,, yea thats how often that happens.

Factor in Warrenty Support.

And the PC Manufact's will blame MS, and Ms will blame the Manufact's. A Mac screws up, there is only Apple, Apples OS, Apples System.

Their warranty is awesome when you have an apple store close....otherwise it's meh. I live beside one now so it's all good.

When I bought my MBA the previous owner managed to somehow short the power brick (had black residue from a spark or something) so right after I bought it I went to the AppleStore and they gave me a new one right away (the old one still worked but I dunno if I wanted to trust it). Last week the = key somehow stopped working. I took the computer in at 2PM and the genius looked at it and decided to replace the keyboard, he quoted 1-3 days to fix. At 4:30PM I got a call that my computer was ready to be picked up....pretty good!!

Wow did you just read about that on the front page of neowin,,, yea thats how often that happens.

Wow great way to avoid answering a legitimate question.. hide my head in the sand and pretend it doesn't.

Its the same KB a Sony, Dell, and HP have beside me, standard "Chicklet" style. I think HP is comming out with a wireless keyboard that is close to the same design of the Apple Wireless Keyboard.

the keyboard on my Dell Studio XPS 13 was dreadful. nothing like the MBP one.

And what about the OSX users that get hit with malware?

You mean that malware you need to manually type in your administrator password to run? What about it?

Unless you actually back up your claims with credible statistics on the percentages of infected vs uninfected machines - yep, you guessed it, the same old predictable FUD as usual.

:facepalm:

And the PC Manufact's will blame MS, and Ms will blame the Manufact's. A Mac screws up, there is only Apple, Apples OS, Apples System.

More F.U.D. keep it coming

p.s. If you bought from Dell, you only deal with Dell.

Maybe accidents with laptops happen to people who take silly risks but I'm someone that is very careful with my equipment and thus does not drop it. Maybe you're one of them people that constantly has a dinged up car from tons of 'accidents' I don't know? - But that isn't me.

I've had a PowerBook and two MacBook Pros both without scratches. Even on the base which I've rested on many surfaces over the years.

My point was that you claim your infection free but you don't run any protection software to know that. Also Macs have not even 1% of the malware that is out there for PC and all of the ones declared so far are found inside the installers of pirated software off shady websites. Pirates get what they deserve in that regard.

Umm - I take care of my stuff and I've never dropped my laptops (phones on the other hand... :blush:) but once I had to keep my iBook in airport security check and the thing got scratched all over because of something (either the bin was terrible or the TSA guy did something). So yea - accidents do happen.

You mean that malware you need to manually type in your administrator password to run? What about it?

What a coincidence, you mean just like Windows?

Oh wait, that's right, it's bad only if it happens on Windows. Reality distortion field and all that, my bad.

Wow, those comparisons are awful. Hell, the 27" iMac one actually makes it look like the best deal, and that's with the comparison fields being skewed towards the PCs. :laugh:

More F.U.D. keep it coming

p.s. If you bought from Dell, you only deal with Dell.

Umm - I take care of my stuff and I've never dropped my laptops (phones on the other hand... :blush:) but once I had to keep my iBook in airport security check and the thing got scratched all over because of something (either the bin was terrible or the TSA guy did something). So yea - accidents do happen.

Airport Security Check? :laugh: See that would never happen to me. Also that iBook is plastic and uses that 'high impact' plastic spoken about earlier. You say it got scratched all over? Jeez.

Oh wait, that's right, it's bad only if it happens on Windows. Reality distortion field and all that, my bad.

I agree, people are stuck in the pre-UAC times and Windows is more secure now because of it, but UAC can be disabled by lazy people. As far as I'm aware you always need the administrator password to edit system files in OS X.

right....

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Zero-Day-Windows-UAC-Bypass-Vulnerability-Announced-168671.shtml

Airport Security Check? :laugh: See that would never happen to me. Also that iBook is plastic and uses that 'high impact' plastic spoken about earlier. You say it got scratched all over? Jeez.

:rofl:

I agree, people are stuck in the pre-UAC times and Windows is more secure now because of it, but UAC can be disabled by lazy people. As far as I'm aware you always need the administrator password to edit system files in OS X.

Staying out of this retarded ****ing contest, but to be fair, you need admin rights to edit system files on Windows too. If you're running as an admin account and relying on UAC, well that's on you. (And silly, just as bad as running as root on other OS's.) Should be making proper user accounts, which oddly enough require an admin password to do anything system related.

Apple doesn't have any better warranty support than anyone else, and what you're saying isn't rue anyway. I could give you numerous examples of this from consumer reports in Norway. The shop handles the customer the shop refers it to apple, same as any other company. We also had a example here where a business customer ad all the batteries on a series of MBP's expand enough that the casing aroudn them broke apart. and Apple refused to replace these 1.5 year old batteries because this was something that just happened to these batteries and not a warranty claim (despite the fact that you now by law have to provide 2.5 years warranty on batteries in Norway).

Apple track record as far as service and support go, is no nice clean slate, and have as many black spots as the average PC manufacturer.

ION and Atom make a powerful combo.

Staying out of this retarded ****ing contest, but to be fair, you need admin rights to edit system files on Windows too. If you're running as an admin account and relying on UAC, well that's on you. (And silly, just as bad as running as root on other OS's.) Should be making proper user accounts, which oddly enough require an admin password to do anything system related.

Windows assumes that you are a complete incompetent idiot and locks your out of everything pretty much...

No an accident is somethign that by definition can happen to ANYONE, no matter how careful you are.

I can, the shop i work at receives ALOT of infected machines on a daily basis, so far i have about 6 machines on the bench that are infected, all PC's, 2 MAC's and a Hp have Bad HDD.

Go in ANY computer repair shop and you will have your statistics