LA Noire is a big game it seems

You can't judge a video game by the number of discs it ships on; not unless you're prepared to declare the four-disc Lost Odyssey as the best Xbox 360 game of all time. You can, however, judge the intent of the developer to give you a whole lot for your dollar.

The folks at Rockstar, never ones to skimp on the amount of content they put on a game disc, have made, in L.A. Noire, a game that spreads across three discs on the Xbox 360, the company confirmed to Kotaku. The forthcoming game about being a detective in 1947 Los Angeles fills a single-layer, 25 GB Blu-Ray disc on the PlayStation 3.

In fact, the developers made so much game that it spilled over into downloadable content.

"L.A. Noire was always going to be a massive game, from the size and detail of the world to the length of the cases, and of course, the sheer amount of MotionScan data required for the faces of over 400 actors in-game," Jeronimo Barrera, one of the company's top people, told me. "To tell the story and make the game we wanted to make, we knew that it was going to take an entire single layer Blu-ray disc and three Xbox discs."

Rockstar doesn't tend to ballpark the number of hours it will take to complete their games, and the number of discs on this one doesn't exactly mean the game will take, say, three times as long to play as the single-disc Grand Theft Auto IV. It does indicate, as Barrera explained, that the MotionScan data?the heavily-promoted new technique for rendering realistic facial expressions from the game's actors?requires a significant amount of storage.

The only down-side to a multi-disc game is that it could require a lot of disc-swapping. You don't want to play, say, the two-disc Mass Effect 2 and want to keep changing discs. Not to worry, Barrera said. "Since the game is built around the concept of progressing through individual cases from desk to desk, players on Xbox will find disc-swapping is hassle-free. In fact, players will only need to swap discs twice at natural breaks between cases without interrupting the flow of the game."

I've seen several of the game's cases, each of which is presented as a discrete episode, though players can diverge and tinker with some side-missions. Rockstar people have likened the game to a couple of seasons of a TV show. And it turns out they made some episodes they didn't have disc space for. "Throughout development, we created lots of great cases, the bulk of which were central to the main story of Cole Phelps and his rise through the ranks of the LAPD, alongside other cases that felt more like strong stand-alone episodes," Barrera said. "This gave us a powerful main story, and left us with quality extra content that we wanted to put out as DLC, that would slot seamlessly into the existing game."

L.A. Noire is sounding like another massive Rockstar game. Will it rival the length of the the dozens-of-hours-long GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption? It probably doesn't matter. But if for some reason you were wondering if L.A. Noire was a small experiment or a tiny game, that's not the case.

Source: http://uk.kotaku.com/5798996/rockstar-made-la-noire-so-big-they-could-barely-fit-it-on-one-disc-or-three

Maybe this means for once they aren't going to be compressing textures to look like complete **** (looking at you GTA). Guess lead PS3 for dev shows.

I love blu-ray's. I never thought about how bigger the space could be on a disc. I was worried about how things would work with the PS3 at first, being dvd with PS2. On topic, I really like how LA Noire is heading, seeing that its rather a very big game than just short ones. Can't wait to get it.

The map is going to be 8 miles sq, GTA IV was 6.

Although most of the disc space is going to be taken up by cut scenes, and facial animations.

:)

Yeah, I've got my order in! Had it in at GameStop since last summer.

I can't wait for this one. Even though Sony has disappointed me greatly by being lame with security (and getting me to cancel my credit card number to reissue me a new one), it's great that LA Noire will fit on one disc on the Sony system. No swapping there.

I've got me GameStop extra bit coming as well. And I think there is a special PS3 bit as well.

What? Less than two weeks away? Awesome! :yes:

I just hope they don't decide to charge for the DLC that should have been in the game in the first place if it "spilled over" like they said it did.

Pretty much my most anticipated game of the year thus far. I absolutely cannot wait. Have the PS3 version preordered from Amazon, release day shipping, and thanks to all of their deals it only cost me $35. Gotta love Amazon's buy a game get Amazon credit. :punk:

Wow, that's huge! Love their game because they don't focus only on the graphics when making a game

Erm. Technically MotionCapture so faces move properly could be considered graphics, as well as "Detail of the world"

Oh wow, that is really a terrible idea, atleast, it sucks for me... =/

I still have a 20GB X box and everytime I get a new game I have to uninstall my last new game, and install the new one because my disc drive doesn't really work anymore, except to do that, and launch a game. If I try and play a game for too long, it errors out, and stops working for awhile. To get it to even do this much I had to open it and adjust the ohms and whatnot...

I guess...I won't be getting LA Noire....

This really makes me sad and a bit peeved.

Oh well.... :(

I still have a 20GB X box and everytime I get a new game I have to uninstall my last new game, and install the new one because my disc drive doesn't really work anymore, except to do that, and launch a game. If I try and play a game for too long, it errors out, and stops working for awhile. To get it to even do this much I had to open it and adjust the ohms and whatnot...

You actually have a few options.

1. you could trade your 360 into GS and upgrade to a newer model.

2. you could buy a DVD drive off of eBay and replace your current one.

3. or you could get a PS3 ;)

On-topic: I have my copy pre-ordered for the PS3, Blu-ray is really paying off this generation. Really looking forward to playing this game, I just hope other developers start using this technology for games...

2 words: external drive.

I have JUST been aware of this game tonight, and it?ll probably the first game in a year that will amaze me. Last one was Heavy Rain.

First thing I noticed : The lip sync is simply fabulous !!! The story is based on real stuff in L.A., which I don?t know too much. I guess a little bit of fun mixed with a little bit of culture will be nice (like God of War with all those references to the Greek mythology, I?ve also been amazed by this one)

I was pretty deceived by Grand Theft Auto IV for the lack of vehicles, houses, places to buy, special weapons, etc. but since this one doesn?t wear the name GTA I guess it shouldn?t deceive me if it doesn?t have all of this :p

Anyways, May 17th, count me in the line during lunch time (yes, lunch time, because I will FINALLY work and get revenue, no more school!!!)

Probably just me, but I've seen absolutely nothing that makes me understand why people are so eagerly anticipating this game. I'm not knocking it by any means (everyone likes different things, obviously), but is there something special about it that I'm missing out on or may not know about?

Probably just me, but I've seen absolutely nothing that makes me understand why people are so eagerly anticipating this game. I'm not knocking it by any means (everyone likes different things, obviously), but is there something special about it that I'm missing out on or may not know about?

That it is something different from the many run of the mill games we get these days? Playing a detective, solving cases, looking at facial expressions to help solve them, the era/setting, etc... it seems like it will be another game that pushes the boundaries of what a game should be (like RDR). Could be a massive flop but I doubt it.

At least it beats releasing the same FPS game over and over, like a lot of other developers these days.

Really looking forward to it. :yes:

Firstly its a Rockstar game thats not GTA, Red Dead was amazing this is going to be more of the same. Secondly the length theyve gone to capture even the most subtle changes in someones facial features is really revolutionary. In other games youd have to tell by the way someone is speaking what mood they were in and if they were lying. This game you can watch their facial features to see if they have a tell as to what they are up to.

Watch that video and tell me you arent impressed...

Its all about the story and the new motion capture stuff.