Transmission App Banned By Apple and Cydia

I guess you missed the part where Cydia banned the app too.

No I have not really.. the point is that iPhone itself and iOS and the way it works only allows a distributor to supply apps (not taking in account you have to hack your phone to even get anything else but Apple approved)..the reason CYDIA denied it is because it is in a way another app store (even though considered "black market one") and they were afraid they would be legally responsible for distributing an app that might deal with legally grey content.. and you really have no other choices where to get this after they take it out.

For example, on an Android.. an open eco-system that allows you to install apps YOU deem appropriate, you can install this app without anyone telling you whether you can or not because the source can be an app store but it can be a website if people choose so.. Just like on your computer.. it's really a freedom of an open system (and btw, an open system doesn't have to be open source i.e. Windows ).

So yeah.. this is one of the numerous examples of what happens when the platforms and hardware are closed.

I agree, there's only so many times you can download and re-download that Ubuntu iso :rolleyes:

You can only act like a smart ass on the forums so many times until it stops working.

You can only act like a smart ass on the forums so many times until it stops working.

Indeed, it must take a brave man to be on a forum for all of 10 days to judge me on how many times I've "been a smart-ass" :rolleyes:

Because there's no such thing as browsing the forums as guest. Come on, surely you can do better than that.

No, there is, you're right. Glad to know that within your first 20 posts you decided to go out and antagonize someone. Nonetheless, the amount of illegal torrent content is far more than legal content.

Liquid I don't hate you, but I hate Boz.

Anyhow, Cydia cant ban apps, you can add your own sources, developer can just set up his own source or give it to another pre existing source and distribute it through there. Also the app is still on there for free, Cydia banned the paid version without adverts.

Liquid I don't hate you, but I hate Boz.

@_@ What? I wasn't under the impression that you hated anyone :/

Anyhow, Cydia cant ban apps, you can add your own sources, developer can just set up his own source or give it to another pre existing source and distribute it through there. Also the app is still on there for free, Cydia banned the paid versions without adverts.

Which is the point I made, it's not possible to remove an app from a jailbroken device.

No, there is, you're right. Glad to know that within your first 20 posts you decided to go out and antagonize someone.

I didn't antagonize "someone". Don't act like you're a victim or as if you've been singled out for no reason.

Nonetheless, the amount of illegal torrent content is far more than legal content.

The amount of smart-assery in your posts is far more than the amount of post-worthy content in them.

LjpMg.jpg

I didn't antagonize "someone". Don't act like you're a victim or as if you've been singled out for no reason.

The amount of smart-assery in your posts is far more than the amount of post-worthy content in them.

*sigh* Done yet?

The app is still in cydia with ads. Saurik just didn't accept the pay version without ads because cydia payment could get in trouble for that (selling a remote control for a torrent client) but this isn't their fault.

Cydia does NOT ban normal apps. Cydia is merely a client for APT package system (like in debian/*buntu..) - the user can freely add and remove sources for packages and apps.

There is no way to ban apps in Cydia.

I'm not sure how someone could get in trouble for selling a remote control for a torrent client. I mean, yeah, it's probably easy to predict what people will most likely use such an app for, but the transfer technology is legitimate, the content that goes through tends to not be. I think it would be the same as saying a legitimate iPhone app that allows you to monitor your Tivo programs can get Apple in trouble because not all stations want/allow their stuff to be recorded (rough example, but you get the idea)

I think it's really more of his personal opinion rather than legal ramifications, but then again I don't know much about Saurik.

It is disappointing to me that Saurik would make this decision for Cydia. The whole point of Cydia is to allow apps that Apple denies and something as simple as a remote control for a Bittorrent client not even running on the phone should be allowed on the Apple App Store let alone the Cydia Store.

We obviously need more 3rd party stores on iOS to get around this censorship.

It is disappointing to me that Saurik would make this decision for Cydia. The whole point of Cydia is to allow apps that Apple denies and something as simple as a remote control for a Bittorrent client not even running on the phone should be allowed on the Apple App Store let alone the Cydia Store.

We obviously need more 3rd party stores on iOS to get around this censorship.

Well, if he takes a strong stance against p2p in any form, then it's really his decision, as he is the fore-father of jailbreaking and he decides the default sources that go into Cydia. As someone else stated before, the app is apparently still there with ads, and this isn't censorship. The beauty of having a source-based package manager is that all the App dev has to do is make his own repo and give people a link.

Cydia out of the box (with no edited sources) probably won't have it, but it would still be relatively easy to get.

I don't get it, if it can still be downloaded on Cydia then what is the point of this news story - I read the whole thing and it made no mention of it still being on the store it gave me the impression it was banned off the store and it wasn't possible to install it anymore.

I don't get it, if it can still be downloaded on Cydia then what is the point of this news story - I read the whole thing and it made no mention of it still being on the store it gave me the impression it was banned off the store and it wasn't possible to install it anymore.

Its poorly written, He only banned the paid version of the application, you can download an ad version. Also I don't think the author knows how Cydia works. Cydia is a client which you can add sources into the client to download content. There's a main Cydia source, and lots of third party sources. The remote app got banned from the main source but can be rehosted from a third party host at any time, however this is just the paid version. The free version still exists in the main source. It's IMPOSSIBLE to ban a app in Cydia. It has just been blown out of proportion.

Geez, if you REALLY need a BT-client on your PHONE so badly, maybe yeah, you're better off with Android. 3 pages? Srsly?

Geez, if you REALLY need a BT-client on your PHONE so badly, maybe yeah, you're better off with Android. 3 pages? Srsly?
  • This isn't a BitTorrent client. It's a native application to remotely manage your client.
  • Dies ist nicht ein BitTorrent-Client. Es ist eine native Anwendung, die Ihnen erm?glicht, remote verwalten Sie Ihre BitTorrent-Client. (Google Translated)

Guys, keep the discussion about the topic and stop the immature posts because any other immature posts I see here it will bring you a warning, so keep it clean guys! :)