Oregon woman wakes up from surgery with strange accent

When Karen Butler came out of sedation after oral surgery a year and a half ago, her mouth throbbed and her face was puffy. But that's not all that had changed. When she spoke, the words tumbled out in a thick and foreign accent.

"I sounded like I was from Transylvania," she said.

Over the next few days, the swelling subsided and the pain vanished, but Butler's newly acquired accent did not. Though it has softened over time, she's never again spoken like a native Oregonian from Madras. To most people, she sounds British.

It took months to find an explanation: foreign accent syndrome, a disorder so rare that only about 60 cases have been documented worldwide since the early 1900s.

She's the first known case in Oregon, said Dr. Ted Lowenkopf, medical director of the statewide Providence Stroke Center.

The condition changed Butler's life, forcing her to answer endless questions about her accent. Most people are incredulous at first. A few insist she's faking it.

more

Edited by Growled
Shortened article length

cases like this have been reported in the past, i remember watching a Fox or CNN story on a woman from somewhere out west also i think, that recovered from trauma but started speaking with a French accent. it's the matrix, it happens when they change something.

It would be more impressive, if instead of just having another accent, they spoke another language. ;)

It would be more impressive, if instead of just having another accent, they spoke another language. ;)

Well there are unconfirmed reports of this happening, but if it does its even rarer than a foreign accent

There's a big difference between speaking Chinese and sounding Chinese while speaking in another language :p

Oh man, think of the white guy who might have this happen to him... he would be in hell because everyone would always think he was just being racist.... FAMILY GUY DO A EPISODE ON THIS.. or at least a little joke, i gotta see it :p

there are indeed reports of this happening, but you never know. these seem to suggest that we somehow have all accents and maybe all languages stored somewhere in our brains...and that trauma may cause a change in "coding"...i don't really believe in this, but it is very strange...it's probably just a coincidence that it sounds like a specific accent, or maybe it's something they picked up on TV over the years.