Sc*ew Ubuntu

jebus197

Did I say screw them? What I meant to say was f*ck them!!! They have gone and totally screwed up my desktop with their latest so called 'Unity' update. I was happy as Larry with 10.10, then I get a message about the new 11.04 update. Why the hell do I even want this 'unity' thing? My desktop already had a dock of it's own in the form of Cario dock, along with a lot of very neat desktop customisations, and now the new update has come along and screwed them all up. (Basically there's graphical gltiching and tearing everywhere!)

Ubuntu obviously don't give a crap for the thousands of people who do have their own desktop customisations. I've been using Ubuntu for seven years, and a bit like the battered wife who believes that THIS time it will work out and won't screw up, every damn time something does go wrong.

Before anyone comments yes I know you can disable Unity, but the latest upgrade has still shredded my compiz configuration making it almost impossible to unpick whatever the hell it is they have done. The only option it seems is a complete reinstall. So like I said, sc*ew them!!!

Geoffrey B.

you can just install Gnome and recustomize it yourself. if you are using linux you should be savvy enough to be able to do that.

Unix2

Why did you update? :blink: Common sense tells me that my own customization will not be there after a major update. :whistle:

Carbon Fiber

Bluh whiner, as littleneutrino says, you can install Gnome and recustomize it yourself

jebus197

Dude I'm in the middle of exams. It took months to get my desktop looking the way I wanted it... Don't make it sound 'oh so easy' when it isn't.

alexalex

You should have read reviews of 11.04 before updating.

+jamesyfx

Maybe you should have updated after your exam period, so you had time to re-do all of your customisations. It's been well known that Unity is a massive departure from previous versions of Ubuntu.. this kind of issue is expected.

• Like 1
Brian

The additions in 11.04 were well publicized. If it was not something that you wanted then why did you upgrade? Sounds like a PEBKAC to me.

• Like 1
jebus197

<snip>. I had my desktop set up so that it was simplicity itself to use. Much better than anything the Ubuntu folks came up with. You think I have infinite time to waste on this sh*t any more? Maybe 5 or 6 years ago. But now I just want a damn computer and a damn system that works the way I want it to. Is that really too much to ask?

FYI I upgraded because the majority of upgrades from one upgrade to the next never really made a hell of a lot of difference. I don't follow the scene any more, I don't have time. I use my computer for well, um, all the things it's supposed to be used for, like getting on with my work, or completing my studies!

I don't have the time, the care the inclination to make fixing my computer the sole purpose of my life any more.

Anyway stuff you guys if you think this was acceptable. Some clear warning about the possible implications and what would work and what wouldn't work would have been helpful. I might have thought twice about it then.

Edited by Growled
Name Calling
+Dick Montage

So you customised it, applied the update and were surprised when your customisations were reverted? And then you are mid-exams and so are too busy? Then postpone the update. Please try to exercise a little common sense!

Samurizer

You should have read reviews of 11.04 before updating.

Right, it's the user's fault, not Canonical's for producing and pushing out an immature, buggy update. Man, if only you guys were as charitable to every other vendor. :whistle:

Personally I'm pretty ****ed off with Ubuntu right now myself. As it is, the choices are: buggy Unity, buggy GNOME 3, outdated GNOME 2, or KDE. I've never been a KDE fan, but honestly it's looking like the most attractive option right now, at least until Fedora 15 is officially released.

Brian

<snip> I had my desktop set up so that it was simplicity itself to use. Much better than anything the Ubuntu folks came up with. You think I have infinite time to waste on this sh*t any more? Maybe 5 or 6 years ago. But now I just want a damn computer and a damn system that works the way I want it to. Is that really too much to ask?

FYI I upgraded because the majority of upgrades from one upgrade to the next never really made a hell of a lot of difference. I don't follow the scene any more, I don't have time. I use my computer for well, um, the things it's supposed to be used for, like getting on with my work, or completing my studies!

All you had to do was read about the upgrades before you installed them. I for one will not hold your hand and join your pity party, this is your own fault.

Edited by Growled
  • Like 1
Max Norris

Not that it's any consolation to the OP but to be fair something that drastic should have been an option versus "sorry about your luck, just never upgrade again." One of the (many) reasons I prefer rolling releases. Sure, he can get it back with a bit of work, but that's hardly the point.

• Like 1
n_K

Get sabayon or arch linux or gentoo and install the OS you want and keep it the way you want.

Ubuntu is 'noob linux', i.e. great if you've no idea what you're doing, then you learn what you're doing and then you move on to more package-based systems that just update packages and not whole-configurations.

Growled

Sorry for your misfortune. Ubuntu 11.04 has reasons for changing it's desktop, which you can find on the web. It was not a random thing. When you are upgrading next time, please read ahead and be prepared for what is coming. It does help.

• Like 3
bob_c_b

As simple as Ubuntu is (or most recent distros for that matter), you still have a certain level of personal responsibility before you accept a major upgrade. And if you are at a "mission critical" juncture like exams you really have no one to blame but yourself, a little patience goes a long way. That said, Unity is a sad mash-up of the best parts of OS X and Win 7, leaving you with the best of neither and less performance, which is why I leave it confined to a VM for now. Hoping the next Fedora is more to my liking.

Jen Smith

I don't use Ubuntu anymore myself (Arch fangirl for the Linux stuff) but when I did, learned pretty quickly the first thing you do before the six-month update is to back everything up. Wouldn't have been the first time something kersploded during an upgrade.

joemailey

You think I have infinite time to waste on this sh*t any more? Maybe 5 or 6 years ago. But now I just want a damn computer and a damn system that works the way I want it to. Is that really too much to ask?

Is it just me that thinks this user should move to apple? His slogan above is the kind of people apple love to welcome to there store. lol

Linux constantly changes, it always has. It is essential you read what is going to happen before you update to a major version.

Linux and Ubuntu have no idea what to be at, they never have. They chop and change as much as they can to bring in new users. It is all about new users for them.

People who use linux already are generally going to stay with Linux. So their changes are made to bring in new users.

If you want a system that just works, go to Windows or OSX. As Linux requires a lot more effort to maintain and keep the way you want it that Windows or OSX

I used Windows 7 and Ubuntu daily!

it%2Bjust%2Bworks.jpg

tsupersonic

FYI I upgraded because the majority of upgrades from one upgrade to the next never really made a hell of a lot of difference. I don't follow the scene any more, I don't have time. I use my computer for well, um, all the things it's supposed to be used for, like getting on with my work, or completing my studies!

I don't have the time, the care the inclination to make fixing my computer the sole purpose of my life any more.

I find this ironic, and you're using Ubuntu! ha.
spacer

Dude I'm in the middle of exams. It took months to get my desktop looking the way I wanted it... Don't make it sound 'oh so easy' when it isn't.

If you're in the middle of exams, maybe you should be studying and not complaining about your OS customization (something that is largely aesthetic and not necessary).

Furthermore, it sounds like it's your own fault to begin with. I don't even use Linux (let alone Ubuntu) and even I knew the new update was a huge, radical change to prior versions. You need to pay more attention to what you do to your computer before you do it.

It sucks, but you can always redo it. It's not the end of the world.

Growled

I don't use Ubuntu anymore myself (Arch fangirl for the Linux stuff) but when I did, learned pretty quickly the first thing you do before the six-month update is to back everything up. Wouldn't have been the first time something kersploded during an upgrade.

I never do upgrades any more because I have had one too many things that kersploded on me. I do a clean install every time now. I rarely have any problems.

briangw

First time Kubuntu user here and I love it.

Oh, and to the Op: next time run it in VirtualBox or as a LiveCD just to see how it is before you commit.

what

I think it's a valid point that if you are on Gnome with dozens of user customisations, an update shouldn't remove all those and install a completely new and alien and less developed desktop environment in its place. Yes, you should have read up before updating, but it's not really an update if it doesn't preserve basic user preferences like the entire desktop environment. While it's a PEBCAK situation, Ubuntu are right ******** for updating it this way. Unity should have been put on new installs only, or installed alongside the previous DE so people can flip back at any time.

jebus197

Thanks for the nice and empathetic responses. They are appreciated. For the rest of you you know what you can do. It involve a protruded finger in the middle of my right hand. I spent YEARS before I moved to Ubuntu screwing about with Slackware, Gentoo, Linux from Scratch etc. I'm about a hard core as any 15 of you put together. But then one day I woke up and realised that I was running out of life and that scr*wing about on my computer wasn't something I wanted to do any more.

And FYI, I did use Apple for a few years after this, but I fell on (temporary) hard times recently, and as many people would agree, Apple products aren't really targeted at poor people lol.

But for the nice guys here, thanks. All I wanted was a little empathy.

The rest of you don't surprise me. Like so many internet vultures, I genuinely believe you get off on other people's misfortune.

DJD

Arch is the way to go if you want control over your system!!

Ditched Ubuntu after having tested that abomination called Unity.