Sc*ew Ubuntu

jebus197

It is laughable too that they included 'Snap' in this version and a p*ss poor imitation/cross between the OS X and Windows dock. This was the revolution they were talking about? I was happier when they stayed away from this crap. Snap for example is in my view one of the most annoying features of Windows 7 and is one of the first things I tend to turn off.

fusi0n

Can you install all the same things in Arch like you can with Ubuntu? and still as easy? dont have to compile everything like you did years ago.

Jen Smith
Can you install all the same things in Arch like you can with Ubuntu? and still as easy? dont have to compile everything like you did years ago.

There's a very large binary repository and the AUR yes, although they have the Arch Build System for when you want to get your hands dirty. (Pacman versus apt.. different but similar.) Keep in mind though that this is built from the bottom up, not a "kitchen sink" distro like Ubuntu. Once you're done, you're looking at a console. That's it. You will spend some time getting it going how you want it, but you'll get the exact setup you want, no bloat minus anything you put in there yourself. Easy, but keep the wiki handy.

If that worries you, there's other quality distros out there to test drive that are more "install it and forget it" oriented. I'm a big fan of Arch, but couldn't say it's for everybody.

• Like 1
Growled

First time Kubuntu user here and I love it.

Kubuntu 11.04 is the bomb and is the best version ever. KDE 4.6.2 is not only beautiful but it works fantastic. I'd say that the version to use is definitely Kubuntu. I'm loving it here.

Farstrider

Right, it's the user's fault, not Canonical's for producing and pushing out an immature, buggy update. Man, if only you guys were as charitable to every other vendor. :whistle:

Personally I'm pretty ****ed off with Ubuntu right now myself. As it is, the choices are: buggy Unity, buggy GNOME 3, outdated GNOME 2, or KDE. I've never been a KDE fan, but honestly it's looking like the most attractive option right now, at least until Fedora 15 is officially released.

It seems you and so many others just DO NOT get it! 10.04 is an LTS version! (LONG TERM SUPPORT) This version (11.04) must be treated as a beta version as well as the next version that will be 11.10! 12.04 will be the next LTS version, then start to whinge about "bugs" if you have to. Stick to the LTS versions and then you will not have be bothered will buggy updates!

Also when you customize Ubuntu Linux and do an upgrade what do you expect? Certain things that you have done prior to the upgrade will not be supported and or will be broken! If you had a bog standard install and upgraded you would not have any problems either! As far as I know Ubuntu is not using GNOME3, they have stayed with GNOME2 because it is stable. GNOME3 can obviously be installed later if you so wish.

jebus197

It isn't just broken mate, it's trashed! I still don't agree that it's OK.

Kubuntu 11.04 is the bomb and is the best version ever. KDE 4.6.2 is not only beautiful but it works fantastic. I'd say that the version to use is definitely Kubuntu. I'm loving it here.

I'd bet my house on it screwing up at some point. Seriously! Linux user since 1998. Also the joke about the latest update being a Windows 7/OS X (and lord knows what else) mashup is valid.

Flawed

Can't you just select Gnome 2 when you login instead of Unity? I haven't upgraded myself yet; mostly for the same reasons as you, that is, my customisations work well with Gnome 2. Not that I wont upgrade, but I simply haven't got the time at the moment to play around with it. Eventually I want to though.

what

It seems you and so many others just DO NOT get it! 10.04 is an LTS version! (LONG TERM SUPPORT) This version (11.04) must be treated as a beta version as well as the next version that will be 11.10! 12.04 will be the next LTS version, then start to whinge about "bugs" if you have to. Stick to the LTS versions and then you will not have be bothered will buggy updates!

Also when you customize Ubuntu Linux and do an upgrade what do you expect? Certain things that you have done prior to the upgrade will not be supported and or will be broken! If you had a bog standard install and upgraded you would not have any problems either! As far as I know Ubuntu is not using GNOME3, they have stayed with GNOME2 because it is stable. GNOME3 can obviously be installed later if you so wish.

Because that makes sense. No wonder people are wary about Linux. Even when you have half a dozen beta releases, the final is still a beta...

Farstrider

Can't you just select Gnome 2 when you login instead of Unity? I haven't upgraded myself yet; mostly for the same reasons as you, that is, my customisations work well with Gnome 2. Not that I wont upgrade, but I simply haven't got the time at the moment to play around with it. Eventually I want to though.

Yes. This is what half the people, who without ever trying Unity, do not seem to know! :whistle:

jebus197

I'm back using Windows at the minute.I dislike it a lot. But I will have to wait until I get some holidays to think if I want to do a fresh install of Ubuntu again, although what I've seen of the 'improvements' on YouTube are pretty sick making if you ask me. Either that or wait until I can afford a Mac again - which as much as people say they hate them and Apple are pretty fantastic in my experience.

If I did use Ubuntu again, I would almost certainly stick with LTS releases only.

Samurizer

It seems you and so many others just DO NOT get it! 10.04 is an LTS version! (LONG TERM SUPPORT) This version (11.04) must be treated as a beta version as well as the next version that will be 11.10!

Do you see any official documentation or announcements that indicate that the latest 11.04 version is a beta?

No? :whistle:

Well, that's hardly surprising, since it's being marketed as a final release instead of a beta. There were two betas for 11.04, but they're over and done with now, and Canonical is advertising the latest version as stable and pushing it out to unsuspecting users via auto-update. So now that you know better, feel free to stop being completely ridiculous any time, kthx.

Tekkerson

Back up back up backup! There's no excuse not to have a back up.

jebus197

Yes. This is what half the people, who without ever trying Unity, do not seem to know! :whistle:

You know I haven't been using Linux this long to only have half a brain. Lol. Yes I did this, but my Compiz config is still severely messed up. and several Compiz packages are broken.

Farstrider

Because that makes sense. No one people are wary about Linux. Even when you have half a dozen beta releases, the final is still a beta...

So tell me, does MS put out a "new version" of Windows every 6 months? No! Since Mark and Canonical got involved with Ubuntu Linux their sole objective has been to create a product that can compete at the highest level. In other words a work in process, this to create a professional product that goes beyond the casual user. Also, sorry to say, the 10.04 LTS version and 10.10 for that matter is beautifully stable and I and many other have had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever!

jebus197

Back up back up backup! There's no excuse not to have a back up.

No hard disk space on my small laptop for a back up and no cash to buy a new hard disk. That's a good excuse for no back up. And yeah, I bought into the marketing of final releases actually being final releases. LTS I just thought was for business, while incremental releases were updates for users.

Flawed

If I did use Ubuntu again, I would almost certainly stick with LTS releases only.

You can always test new releases in Virtual Box or a live cd before committing to an upgrade. We all knew the default 11.04 interface would be a departure from Gnome 2 after all. Like with all new things, it time takes to get accustomed to them.

jebus197

So tell me, does MS put out a "new version" of Windows every 6 months? No! Since Mark and Canonical got involved with Ubuntu Linux their sole objective has been to create a product that can compete at the highest level. In other words a work in process, this to create a professional product that goes beyond the casual user. Also, sorry to say, the 10.04 LTS version and 10.10 for that matter is beautifully stable and I and many other have had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever!

Neither did I, which is why I thought the same would be true of 11.04.

Flawed

You know I haven't been using Linux this long to only have half a brain. Lol. Yes I did this, but my Compiz config is still severely messed up. and several Compiz packages are broken.

If you say which things are causing you problems. we might be able to help.

jebus197

You can always test new releases in Virtual Box or a live cd before committing to an upgrade. We all knew the default 11.04 interface would be a departure from Gnome 2 after all. Like with all new things, it time takes to get accustomed to them.

Yes until they completely change things again and screw everything up again. Like I said, I can't be ass*d. Linux isn't my god. I don't want to spend large chunks of my life making it work. I did that years ago and now I regret it. There are better things to do with life.

If you say which things are causing you problems. we might be able to help.

It's too far gone. If I can't fix it then it probably can't be fixed. I don't have time either, I have exams to study for. But thanks!

Jen Smith
We all knew the default 11.04 interface would be a departure from Gnome 2 after all. Like with all new things, it time takes to get accustomed to them.

Personally, they could have handled it a bit better though. Yea, you could pick between sticking with the LTS build that's older software but isn't going anywhere or stay current and risk possible breakage, but switching desktop environments is a bit above-and-beyond breakage. Should have been an option in the installer to either pick going with Unity, or staying with GNOME, which Ubuntu still has in the repositories. I mean if Arch suddenly decided to yank Firefox and plop Chromium in its place with no way to say "hell no", I'd be more than a little irked, and that's just a random application, not the DE itself. I'm not ignoring picking your session, just meaning that Ubuntu tends to cater to "no experience required", and sometimes things aren't blatantly obvious for the inexperienced.

Farstrider

Do you see any official documentation or announcements that indicate that the latest 11.04 version is a beta?

No? :whistle:

Well, that's hardly surprising, since it's being marketed as a final release instead of a beta. There were two betas for 11.04, but they're over and done with now, and Canonical is advertising the latest version as stable and pushing it out to unsuspecting users via auto-update. So now that you know better, feel free to stop being completely ridiculous any time, kthx.

Talking about being ridiculous..... I wonder if you can read, look at what I wrote, I never said it was a beta product, I said treat it as such!

I never said you have [sic] "half a brain" you did! How long you have been using something is absolutely no guarantee that you know what you are doing! That said I will take your word for it! ;)

+BudMan

Here's the part I don't get

You clearly state your a long time user

"I've been using Ubuntu for seven years,

then about updating you state;

"every damn time something does go wrong."

So I have to wonder WTF you were thinking if your so busy because of exams why you would of updated now for?

You state

"I was happy as Larry with 10.10"

Well 11.04 will be there next week, next month when your not dealing with exams -- So you clearly did not read up on what is new with 11.04, we get it your busy ;) So why in the world would you update?? I'm at a loss to understand this -- honestly I just don't get it..

As to not getting the circle jerk pity party you clearly wanted from your post, WTF did you think was going to happen?? You clearly are in the wrong HERE! The documentation of what is new and what changed in 11.04 is there for you to read. The reviews are there for you to read, the complaints of unity are there.. If you too busy to read them - who's fault is that??

You also stated - which is the part I love..

"I spent YEARS before I moved to Ubuntu screwing about with Slackware, Gentoo, Linux from Scratch etc. I'm about a hard core as any 15 of you put together"

If that was the case -- I don't see why you don't just restore your box from its backup.. What you don't have an image of your desktop that you got working JUST THE WAY YOU LIKE IT!! Even half witted users know enough to create a backup of their machine before they make a MAJOR change to the OS.. A ?ber HardCore Linux Geek like yourself -- come on now no backup??

Quit blaming others for your own damn mistake and Man UP!! BTW if you so freaking busy with exams -- maybe the time you have spent crying in this thread fishing for some pity would of been better spent fixing your mistake or study on your exams ;)

• Like 5
Samurizer

Talking about being ridiculous..... I wonder if you can read, look at what I wrote, I never said it was a beta product, I said treat it as such!

Right. We should be listening to you, because obviously you know better than Canonical whether a particular release of Ubuntu is a final or beta version. Got it. :whistle:

Flawed

Yes until they completely change things again and screw everything up again. Like I said, I can't be ass*d. Linux isn't my god. I don't want to spend large chunks of my life making it work. I did that years ago and now I regret it. There are better things to do with life.

I understand that you are angry, but Ubuntu didn't force you to upgrade, neither did it stop you from selecting Gnome 2 as the default desktop.

In the end, all OS's are emergent and evolving. Windows is the same as well as OS X. Compare XP with Visa/7 for instance. If you don't have the time at the moment to upgrade and customise it, then just stick with the very stable 10.10. If you have a particular problem I'm sure there are many here who are willing to help.

It's too far gone. If I can't fix it then it probably can't be fixed. I don't have time either, I have exams to study for. But thanks!

No problem. I hope things work out for you. Good luck.

Farstrider

Right. We should be listening to you, because obviously you know better than Canonical whether a particular release of Ubuntu is a final or beta version. Got it. :whistle:

It seems you still have not read what I said.... twice! Perhaps I should have a chat with them, perhaps they will listen to me! :laugh: Seriously dude, relax, this conversation needn't get out of hand!