Sc*ew Ubuntu

+warwagon

Rule #1 - If you are in the middle of something very important (Mission critical), and can't risk being without your computer, then leave well enough alone.

Now, in the case of you being in the a middle of an exam, and then still deciding to install a major update to your OS and having it fail. All I gotta say is....

whoopsj.jpg

briangw

Kubuntu 11.04 is the bomb and is the best version ever. KDE 4.6.2 is not only beautiful but it works fantastic. I'd say that the version to use is definitely Kubuntu. I'm loving it here.

Luckily, I have two Linux guys here at work. One of which came over and walked me through Kubuntu 11.04 for most of the morning in VMware Player. So I am going to setup Wubi on my laptop at home and start using it more. I'm hoping that I can eventually get rid of dual booting and run some of my strategy games via Wine and say goodbye to Windows on my laptop (but, my Desktop with a better graphics card will still be there for the more robust games :yes: )

All I've known during my life is mostly Windows, but for personal and professional reasons (being able to cross-train with the Linux guys), I want to learn more about Linux, esp. the command-line stuff.

jebus197

Here's the part I don't get

You clearly state your a long time user

"I've been using Ubuntu for seven years,

then about updating you state;

"every damn time something does go wrong."

So I have to wonder WTF you were thinking if your so busy because of exams why you would of updated now for?

You state

"I was happy as Larry with 10.10"

Well 11.04 will be there next week, next month when your not dealing with exams -- So you clearly did not read up on what is new with 11.04, we get it your busy ;) So why in the world would you update?? I'm at a loss to understand this -- honestly I just don't get it..

As to not getting the circle jerk pity party you clearly wanted from your post, WTF did you think was going to happen?? You clearly are in the wrong HERE! The documentation of what is new and what changed in 11.04 is there for you to read. The reviews are there for you to read, the complaints of unity are there.. If you too busy to read them - who's fault is that??

You also stated - which is the part I love..

"I spent YEARS before I moved to Ubuntu screwing about with Slackware, Gentoo, Linux from Scratch etc. I'm about a hard core as any 15 of you put together"

If that was the case -- I don't see why you don't just restore your box from its backup.. What you don't have an image of your desktop that you got working JUST THE WAY YOU LIKE IT!! Even half witted users know enough to create a backup of their machine before they make a MAJOR change to the OS.. A ?ber HardCore Linux Geek like yourself -- come on now no backup??

Quit blaming others for your own damn mistake and Man UP!! BTW if you so freaking busy with exams -- maybe the time you have spent crying in this thread fishing for some pity would of been better spent fixing your mistake or study on your exams ;)

Oh someone delete this thread for the waste of time it is. I updated because the last 2 updates were smooth. I made the mistake of thinking they had finally cracked the update process. I don't have a back up because I have no cash for back-up space. I installed because I had made the mistaken assumption that LTS was stable for business and incremental releases were stable for users. (Although potentially slightly less stable than LTS releases). As I recall in the old days that is how Ubuntu was first marketed. And since you are such a Linux god, I bet you have never had a system screw up on you either. I did it at the wrong time, on an impulse expecting a smooth upgrade. You're right I should have known better. Maybe I should just say in future scr*w Linux, not least because of all the fanatics it often entails dealing with.

• Like 1
Manny b.

@jebus197

am sorry you had this problem.

your compiz problems are because compiz was going to be abandoned/killed, because of gnome3 and its mutter compositor.

so the blame is also on gnome3. It was either go with unity/gnome2 or go with gnome3/mutter. And this is to be expected in such a transitional period. This is why the LTS is the version that is most recommended unless you like big changes or tinkering with your system when things dont go as planned.

but Ubuntu didnt want to kill such a cool project as compiz and picked them up as an official project (they even hired the main developer!).

Ubuntu is like the owner of compiz now. Is fully integrated into the system, not just a "hack" like before.

the problem was the timing, so lots of plugins were not able to get the fixes they need.

anyway, expect compiz to get a whole lot better, faster and mature like never before. For next release 11.10, things will be as good as new.

A lot of things are still going to change till the next LTS, so to stay updated i recommend you follow these 2 blogs:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/

http://www.webupd8.org/

if you need any more help please let us know and thanks for being comprehensive.

jebus197

Right. We should be listening to you, because obviously you know better than Canonical whether a particular release of Ubuntu is a final or beta version. Got it. :whistle:

Lol. Go away!

@jebus197

am sorry you had this problem.

your compiz problems are because compiz was going to be abandoned/killed, because of gnome3 and its mutter compositor.

so the blame is also on gnome3. It was either go with unity/gnome2 or go with gnome3/mutter. And this is to be expected in such a transitional period. This is why the LTS is the version that is most recommended unless you like big changes or tinkering with your system when things dont go as planned.

but Ubuntu didnt want to kill such a cool project as compiz and picked them up as an official project (they even hired the main developer!).

Ubuntu is like the owner of compiz now. Is fully integrated into the system, not just a "hack" like before.

the problem was the timing, so lots of plugins were not able to get the fixes they need.

anyway, expect compiz to get a whole lot better, faster and mature like never before. For next release 11.10, things will be as good as new.

A lot of things are still going to change till the next LTS, so to stay updated i recommend you follow these 2 blogs:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/

http://www.webupd8.org/

if you need any more help please let us know and thanks for being comprehensive.

Now there's a nice guy! Lol. You see, some people are capable of behaving civilly!

Yorak

Now there's a nice guy! Lol. You see, some people are capable of behaving civilly!

Silly little fella, you are the one in here flipping out and cursing at the fact that during exam time you decided to update to the newest version of Ubuntu (knowing things MAY go wrong). You need to take a deep breath and relax. Have a nice cup of coffee, maybe go for a jog or something. Which are you truly upset about? Stressed over exams, something else goes wrong and you snap? Seems like the case here. There are a plethora of other Linux distributions. Install one, use it while you need it for exams, and when you are done and having nothing on your mind, take another shot at Ubuntu, or another distribution that will make you happy.

About you being a hardcore user...lol. People that use the word hardcore in reference to anything about themselves are probably lying. Did you forget this was Neowin? There are thousands of Linux users here that have been using it for as long as you. And even some who have only recently switched probably understood the concept of backing up their **** before they upgraded.

• Like 1
jebus197

Silly little fella, you are the one in here flipping out and cursing at the fact that during exam time you decided to update to the newest version of Ubuntu (knowing things MAY go wrong). You need to take a deep breath and relax. Have a nice cup of coffee, maybe go for a jog or something. Which are you truly upset about? Stressed over exams, something else goes wrong and you snap? Seems like the case here. There are a plethora of other Linux distributions. Install one, use it while you need it for exams, and when you are done and having nothing on your mind, take another shot at Ubuntu, or another distribution that will make you happy.

About you being a hardcore user...lol. People that use the word hardcore in reference to anything about themselves are probably lying. Did you forget this was Neowin? There are thousands of Linux users here that have been using it for as long as you. And even some who have only recently switched probably understood the concept of backing up their **** before they upgraded.

Go away 2! Lol. I'm a patient guy. I will love it when the day comes when you all screw up too - and believe me it will come. You're all so great and incapable of messing up in any way at all.

Just remember me when you do though. See how much fun you think it is then. ;-)

sanctified

You're all so great and incapable of messing up in any way at all.

No. We're just capable to admnit when the mess up it's our fault.

jebus197

No. We're just capable to admnit when the mess up it's our fault.

Yeah right... Add sainthood to the list too why not?

sanctified

Yeah right... Add sainthood to the list too why not?

Whatever man, it's not your fault, the evil corporation hid from everyone that a new desktop metaphor was included in their new release. There was no months-long beta testing, no internet previews, no official previews from the official website. No in-depth reviews of Unity, in fact, no one knew about Unity.

So yeah, it's not your fault.

Growled

I'd bet my house on it screwing up at some point. Seriously! Linux user since 1998. Also the joke about the latest update being a Windows 7/OS X (and lord knows what else) mashup is valid.

If it were up to Ubuntu you'd be right. However, I am in control of this box and I am very careful when it comes to upgrades. I usually only allow security updates now, and few of them will bonk your system.

Anyway, it's time to close this before it gets out of hand.