Slut Pride

Ohhhh....Boy :p

AP story....

BOSTON ? An international series of protests known as SlutWalks, sparked by a Toronto police officer's flippant comment that women should avoid dressing like "sluts" to avoid being raped or victimized, is taking root in the United States.

Some women and men who protest dress in nothing more remarkable than jeans and T-shirts, while others wear provocative or revealing outfits to bring attention to "slut-shaming," or shaming women for being sexual, and the treatment of sexual assault victims.

"It was taking the blame off the rapist and on the victim," said Nicole Sullivan, 21, a student at the University of Massachusetts-Boston and an organizer of the SlutWalk planned Saturday in that city. "So we are using these efforts to reclaim the word 'slut.'"

The police officer made his comments in January to a group of York University students at a safety forum. He later apologized, but his comments were publicized widely on Facebook and Twitter. They inspired a march in Toronto last month that drew more than 3,000 people, as well as SlutWalks since then in Dallas, Asheville, North Carolina, and Ottawa, Ontario.

'Shame and degradation'

In addition to Boston, marches are planned in cities including Seattle, Chicago, Philadelphia, Reno, Nevada, and Austin, Texas.

"The event is in protest of a culture that we think is too permissive when it comes to rape and sexual assault," said Siobhan Connors, 20, of Lynn, Massachusetts, another Boston organizer. "It's to bring awareness to the shame and degradation women still face for expressing their sexuality ... essentially for behaving in a healthy and sexual way."

>

110506-slutwalk-hmed-330a.grid-8x2.jpg

Should we censor that guys boob? :rofl:

I heard this on the radio.. it's dumb.

The cop's comments were totally out of line. Any intelligent person knows that how a person is dressed has little or nothing to do with them being raped. That jackass needs to be fired.

if they want to dress up like a slut, be my guest. lets see what happen if they get raped...

Your comment is just as ignorant as the jackass cop's comment. I'd hope what would happen is that the crime would be investigated just as diligently as the rape of an 80 year old grandmother. Unfortunately, we apparantly have too many ignorant fools in our society that think that rapists should get a free pass when they rape someone who isn't dressed in a manner that they think is apropriate.

The cop's comments were totally out of line. Any intelligent person knows that how a person is dressed has little or nothing to do with them being raped. That jackass needs to be fired.

No, any intelligent person can make the connection that a more revealing attire is likely to attract more attention, whether good or bad.

Your comment is just as ignorant as the jackass cop's comment. I'd hope what would happen is that the crime would be investigated just as diligently as the rape of an 80 year old grandmother. Unfortunately, we apparently have too many ignorant fools in our society that think that rapists should get a free pass when they rape someone who isn't dress in a manner that they think is appropriate.

Who said anything about giving rapists free passes? That's got nothing to do with this, this is just a bunch of people who blew a statement out of proportion and made a protest about it. Dress the way you want, it's not like the officer cares, but when you're wearing something that shows a ridiculous amount of cleavage/short skirts/shorts and you start to wonder why so many people, both shady and otherwise, keep noticing you.

Well, I suppose if nothign else exciting happens in your life, you might as well draw up a baseless call of arms about a comment that had good intentions and start a protest about it. You know, because there's nothing else going on in the world that's more important that walking around with signs that say "Slut Pride" in busy streets full of children who will start asking their mothers and fathers what "slut" means.

Your comment is just as ignorant as the jackass cop's comment. I'd hope what would happen is that the crime would be investigated just as diligently as the rape of an 80 year old grandmother. Unfortunately, we apparantly have too many ignorant fools in our society that think that rapists should get a free pass when they rape someone who isn't dressed in a manner that they think is apropriate.

You must not go out much. The chances are, women who dress slutty are more likely to get raped. Seriously, yeah it can happen to anyone but if a rapist was to see a hot piece of ass with a mini skirt (ALONE) vs a chick with jeans and a t-shirt (ALONE)... which one is most likely to get raped... think about it... :whistle:

:rolleyes:

All of you who think that this cop was right are horribly ill-informed about rape statistics. Educate yourselves a little bit and stop posting nonsense.

http://www.d.umn.edu/cla/faculty/jhamlin/3925/myths.html

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/776945.html

http://www.houseofruthdothan.org/rapemyths.htm

Facts don't lie: it's easier to rape someone wearing a skirt than it is to rape someone wearing jeans. I'm not saying women shouldn't dress provocative, by all means, do so for my viewing pleasure. But when you wear something "slutty", expect...attention. Both wanted and unwanted. Also, don't dress slutty and then go to a bar down the alley at night with no friends...

The cop was wrong for saying what he said but what he said wasn't wrong at the sametime. I'm all for people dressing however they want to; punk, emo, rocker, slut, prep, etc it's all good. Now it does put certain ideas in guys heads (wrongly) that the girl is a certain way if she dresses a certain way. I pass plenty of girls on the street that are dressed casually and don't even notice them for the most part, but let some boobs be popping out or short skirts or something then oh yeah baby! :laugh: I'm too shy to go up to said "hot*" girls but there are plenty of guys out there that aren't like me and will go and say hello and there are plenty of other guys out there that wont take no for an answer because he doesn't want to look stupid infront of his boys or hurt his "manhood." Those types of guys deserve to go rot in hell but at the sametime it'll be a long lasting trauma for the girl, all because of that stupid low cut shirt that she thought was too low but her girlfriends told her was really sexy.

*-said "hot" girl sometimes isn't actually hot, it's just that she's half naked that gets my attention. Yes i admit that i'm male and I like to see some skin once in a while, sue me. :argue:

I agree that this will achieve very little, but it does bring to light the comments made by the Police officer. Now, I do NOT agree with what the Police officer said... but I sort of... agree with the sentiment maybe? Well, I certainly think dressing a certain way could make you more susceptible to being attacked by a rapist, but it is certainly not tantamount to being a cause for rape. The only way I could see clothing truly affecting the likelihood of a person getting raped or not getting raped would be if they were wearing this...

12875876.jpg

I can sort of see where the police officer might be coming from. However, there is absolutely no excuse for rape... even if the person was in their birthday suit it does not automatically give a rapist a 'free pass'.

I see this thread is going to be filled with ignorant people who refuse to let old myths die. Fine, believe whatever you want, despite the fact that rape statistics prove that what someone is wearing has ZERO effect on their likelyhood of being raped. If you can't be bothered to educate yourselves by doing some simple google searches, then there isn't much I can do to help you learn.

:no:

:rolleyes:

All of you who think that this cop was right are horribly ill-informed about rape statistics. Educate yourselves a little bit and stop posting nonsense.

http://www.d.umn.edu/cla/faculty/jhamlin/3925/myths.html

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/776945.html

http://www.houseofruthdothan.org/rapemyths.htm

Really? Did you really just try to use a Geocities-esqe site with no citations and a 10-year old university sociology page's "facts" (which also have no citations whatsoever either) to convince us that it's just a myth?

The only real plausible links you have are the ones in the Google Answers thread, and I'm still reading through it to see what is up to date and what isn't. Rape isn't like biology, it's nature can change over the course of a few days, much less 10 years.

Look, you can do your whole "omg look at what the experts say" thing all day, but the fact of the matter is that between a woman who's wearing next to nothing vs a woman in jeans and a sweat shirt both walking down a seemingly empty alleyway, the woman wearing relatively nothing is more likely to give off the impression she's comfortable with and asking for casual sex. It's just logical to assume that.

Really? Did you really just try to use a Geocities-esqe site with no citations and a 10-year old university sociology page's "facts" (which also have no citations whatsoever either) to convince us that it's just a myth?

The only real plausible links you have are the ones in the Google Answers thread, and I'm still reading through it to see what is up to date and what isn't. Rape isn't like biology, it's nature can change over the course of a few days, much less 10 years.

Look, you can do your whole "omg look at what the experts say" thing all day, but the fact of the matter is that between a woman who's wearing next to nothing vs a woman in jeans and a sweat shirt both walking down a seemingly empty alleyway, the woman wearing relatively nothing is more likely to give off the impression she's comfortable with and asking for casual sex. It's just logical to assume that.

Couldnt have said it better myself! The way women dress now compare to back than... well I'm sure you can figure it out :shifty:

I see this thread is going to be filled with ignorant people who refuse to let old myths die. Fine, believe whatever you want, despite the fact that rape statistics prove that what someone is wearing has ZERO effect on their likelyhood of being raped. If you can't be bothered to educate yourselves by doing some simple google searches, then there isn't much I can do to help you learn.

:no:

Must be nice to sit there on your pedestal using citation-free sites and 10-year old university "fact-or-myth" pages to pretend that you've uncovered a strange truth through your Googling.

Also, just for the record, if you bothered to even read your own "sources" (or get a basic grasp of experimental psychology, for that matter) you'd know it's incorrect to say "...ZERO effect...". There are no absolutes in human behavior. But then, it would take you more than just Googling and perhaps a course in Social Psychology to understand that.

The issue is that saying what a woman wears is partially to blame for her being raped is that it removes some of the blame from the man who commits the crime. The blame is 100% of the rapist, and 0% on the victim. You can not prove in any possible way that the way a woman dresses has any affect on whether or not she'll be raped. You can make assumptions, but again, doing so just implies that rape is partially the fault of the victim.

And if you really believe that the victim is at fault, I'd like to inform you that we in the human society have advanced in the last few thousand years, and we have exciting things like fire and wheels if you'd like to join us.

The issue is that saying what a woman wears is partially to blame for her being raped is that it removes some of the blame from the man who commits the crime. The blame is 100% of the rapist, and 0% on the victim. You can not prove in any possible way that the way a woman dresses has any affect on whether or not she'll be raped. You can make assumptions, but again, doing so just implies that rape is partially the fault of the victim.

If a woman is insecure/blinded enough to take the suggestion that "wearing revealing clothing may put you at a higher risk of being sexually assaulted" to be the same as saying "it's your own damn fault that you got raped, don't dress that way", that's not the problem of the police department, that's her problem. Yes, he could have worded it differently, but the suggestion stands true for what it was.

It's like saying "if you tend to leave your laptop unattended at Starbucks while purchasing drinks, it puts it at higher risk of being stolen" and having someone overreact and respond "OH MY GOD that's not fair at all, the fault is 100% the theif's, not mine in any way whatsoever".

Yes, we've advanced a few thousand years, friend, and that should be a decent indicator that we don't live in a perfect world, that theives, criminals, rapists, murderers, etc STILL exist, and that we have to understand and utilize that fact for future reference, not walk around with our eyes closed and trusting of the entire world.

And if you really believe that the victim is at fault, I'd like to inform you that we in the human society have advanced in the last few thousand years, and we have exciting things like fire and wheels if you'd like to join us.

Uhhh. Ok?