HDMI port - connecting - do you need audio cables if u have a HDMI?

swissdude

Quick question,

If you connect something via a HDMI cable - does that mean you don't need to use the normal audio cables?

For example - I bought a new audio receiver and dvd player, and it seems like in the instructions it says connect them to each other's HDMI - IF they have a HDMI ports...which they do..

Then it kind of suggests, if one of them doesn't have a HDMI connection, then use AUDIO cables...u know those normal white/red kind of color coded one's

Anyone know?

Miuku.

HDMI transmits audio as well as video.

Naturally you'll have to select the HDMI as the output in your respective operating systems audio management and in some cases (at least in the past on ATI cards which contained an HDMI connector) they require additional drivers to provide that functionality.

swissdude

Ok so I can just use HDMI cables, then it is just using ONE CABLE so to say rather than those other one's where there are like 3 stuck to one side

Know what I mean?

Miuku.

It is just one cable - a HDMI cable.

hdmi2.jpg

jerzdawg

Ok so I can just use HDMI cables, then it is just using ONE CABLE so to say rather than those other one's where there are like 3 stuck to one side

Know what I mean?

yes, HDMI to HDMI (DVD player to Receiver) will not require any additional cables for audio.

Julius Caro

It depends on whether the system outputting video through HDMI also carries audio as well (as far as I'm concerned, this is not always the case, or didnt use to be the case). But nowadays, if it has HDMI I'd say it carries audio as well.

Richard C.

HDMI can carry audio, however most TVs (in the UK at least) also have an audio input jack (optical or L and R phono plugs) to allow you to use a custom source for the audio, I use this because the sound through the phono output on my blu-ray player (or perhaps a flaw in the design of the TV?) is about 300% louder than the HDMI audio signal. (With HDMI I have to have the volume at nearly 50% to get acceptable level sound)

+jamesyfx

HDMI has a 19-core cable, it's got so many features packed in it it's incredible.

philcruicks

Quick question,

If you connect something via a HDMI cable - does that mean you don't need to use the normal audio cables?

For example - I bought a new audio receiver and dvd player, and it seems like in the instructions it says connect them to each other's HDMI - IF they have a HDMI ports...which they do..

Then it kind of suggests, if one of them doesn't have a HDMI connection, then use AUDIO cables...u know those normal white/red kind of color coded one's

Anyone know?

Correct HDMI will do both video and audio,

however you can choose to use other methods if more suitable, for example on my xbox the HDMI take the video, as my monitor has no speakers I use the xbox AV adapter to take the sound via Phono (white and red connectors) to my PC speakers.