Strange Fumes Sicken Detectives At Home Where 2 Bodies Were Found

YELM, Washington -- Police are investigating whether possible strange fumes that sickened detectives had something to do with two bodies that were found in a house near Yelm on Monday, the Thurston County Sheriff's Office said.

Police said they found the bodies sometime Monday morning or early afternoon after a neighbor called police to ask for a welfare check. When Sheriff's deputies looked in the windows, they saw the couple.

"The deputies forced entry to check the welfare and found two people deceased inside the residence," Lt. Greg Elwin said. "We're concerned there's some things in there that are putting off some vapors or fumes, which affected the detectives inside. We're going to send investigators back in, in chemical suits and breathing apparatuses."

The detectives are all OK, but a specialized methamphetamine team is heading to the home since the Washington State Patrol's crime lab was unavailable, an officer at the scene told KIRO 7 Reporter Deborah Horne on Monday afternoon.

"I knew this morning when I left that something was a little amiss because Tony never let his lawn get that high," said Lori Shine, a neighbor. "Tony kept his lawn immaculate and then to come home and find them like this...."

The last time Shine's closest neighbor remembered seeing the couple was about six days ago, the neighbor said when he spoke anonymously to KIRO 7. He said a mail carrier told him the couple's box was overflowing, which prompted him to call 911.

Shine said the woman at the home had been sick and that the couple was inseparable.

"If one or the other of them was not doing well, it wouldn't surprise me that they would leave together," she said.

It wasn't clear what illness the woman was suffering from.

Source