New DSLR Camera

Hello guys,

So I'm selling off my video camera. All in all, I have about $600 to spend and that can be stretched a tiny bit but I'd prefer not.

What is the best DSLR camera that I can get in it. I'm going to be buying it anytime up until June 7th in the United States.

Bring on the suggestions.

Crazysah

Nikon D3100 or Rebel T2i.

D3100 is the cheapest.

If you're just looking for a camera and don't care about the future (spending more money on new gear, like lenses, flashes etc) then either one will do just fine and you'll never know the difference. If you plan on growing your hobby, do some research into which system you like best (lenses, flashes, etc).

However, both Nikon and Canon are great and you'll probably be happy either way. They're simply tools, really really complicated hammers :p

How about the Canon EOS Rebel T3? Or Sony Alpha DSLR-A330? Isn't the Rebel T3 better than the Rebel T2i?

I would not recommed getting the A330 right now unless you find a very low price on it. The Sony A33 would be a very nice choice in that budget range but NOT the A33.

Hello guys,

So I'm selling off my video camera. All in all, I have about $600 to spend and that can be stretched a tiny bit but I'd prefer not.

What is the best DSLR camera that I can get in it. I'm going to be buying it anytime up until June 7th in the United States.

Bring on the suggestions.

Crazysah

Canon 550D. Don't bother with Nikon, you will be disappointed.

Isn't the Rebel T3 better than the Rebel T2i?

It has a swivel screen. That's the big drawcard. No big deal.

For $600 the D3100 is your best bet. It is a fine camera if you are a beginner but you might outgrow quickly it if you intend to be more serious about photography.

Canon 550D. Don't bother with Nikon, you will be disappointed.

It has a swivel screen. That's the big drawcard. No big deal.

The Canon 550D is out of my price range!

And the only difference is the swivel screen? I think that's a major plus.

However the T3 is not the T3i. The T3 is the follow up to the 1000D that is the lowest range in Canon's DSLR.

Is is all about the lenses. When buying a DSLR, your investment in lenses will outlast the body, many photographers go through multiple bodies while using the same lenses for years and years. I personally like Canon, they have a very wide assortment of lenses in all price ranges. I am not saying Canon is better or its lenses are better, I am saying their lens range and price points are very good and there is something out there for everyone, consumer, pro-sumer and pro. If you do not have any intent on upgrading lenses outside of the kit lens most DSLRs come with then maybe a DSLR is not for you and a high end compact may be better.

wow, that's not a confusing naming scheme lol

Yeah, it's a bit confusing, 3 digit Alpha models are traditional SLRs, 2 digital Alpha models are translucent mirror SLTs.

Pentax K-r Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm Zoom Lens - $625 at B&H Photo.

Best low light performance for the money, the kit lens is above average compared to other brand offerings.

The camera menu system is very easy to navigate and understand, shake reduction is built into the body which also has a full stainless steel frame.

If you want to expand your lenses later, Pentax prime Limited?s are very affordable and offer outstanding colour & resolution

I can stress enough, if you do plan to take photography seriously ( eg. buy more gear on the long run) skimping out on your first dSLR body, might be a bad decision in the long run.

I can stress enough, if you do plan to take photography seriously ( eg. buy more gear on the long run) skimping out on your first dSLR body, might be a bad decision in the long run.

I need one to start with now and hopefully within a year or a year and a half I will be able to upgrade with much more money and be fine. So for now, I can only work with around $600.

I really disagree. Bodies are basically disposable if you take photography seriously. They're obsolete every 18-24 months, and even faster than that on the low end models. If you just need a decent camera to take snaps around the house, then pretty much any DSLR will work just fine.

I really disagree. Bodies are basically disposable if you take photography seriously. They're obsolete every 18-24 months, and even faster than that on the low end models. If you just need a decent camera to take snaps around the house, then pretty much any DSLR will work just fine.

I really disagree too. What make a body disposable for a serious photographer. Among all the cameras among the ones I use the most are a T1i and a Canon 40D. Any enlargements I've done are great. I remember when I started with photography many years ago, using a Sony f828, I got some 30 or 40 inches enlargements from that camera. Unless you are almost pushing your face against the print most people dont notice it.

Full frame, high mp count are not obligatory requirements for professional photography.

Hell, ask my canonet q17.

I need one to start with now and hopefully within a year or a year and a half I will be able to upgrade with much more money and be fine. So for now, I can only work with around $600.

1. Purchase a Pentax K-r with 18-55mm Zoom Lens.

2. When you have used it for a while you will know what focal length you use most.

3. Buy a Pentax prime lens with close to that focal length.

4. Put that lens on your K-r and be amazed.

5. Purchase a Pentax K-5, put your prime lens on it and the smile will never leave your face.

6. Sell your K-r, or keep it as a spare.

The only disposable things in photography are your money & time.

You don?t need a lot of money to produce outstanding images in the digital age, you do however need to invest the time to learn skills & develop your passion.

That is precisely why, bodies do get updated with new features and the works, however, you really don't know what you're missing out by buying a low end till you see it's limitations, perhaps just of poor choice of words in my part :/