• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

New DSLR Camera

crazzy88ss    66
you really don't know what you're missing out by buying a low end till you see it's limitations,

But if you're NOT SERIOUS ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY, then it won't matter. I have a friend who bought the "high end" Rebel (don't remember which it was) 4 years ago when I got my D50. I was sad that she got a better camera than I did. But now it just sits in her room and collects dust, a waste of money.

Crazysah    7

But if you're NOT SERIOUS ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY, then it won't matter. I have a friend who bought the "high end" Rebel (don't remember which it was) 4 years ago when I got my D50. I was sad that she got a better camera than I did. But now it just sits in her room and collects dust, a waste of money.

I am serious about photography but I want to learn everything about a DSLR first before buying a serious pro camera (Which will happen next year sometime).

crazzy88ss    66

yea, it's wiser to spend money on the glass instead of the "disposable" bodies.

sanctified    1,225

yea, it's wiser to spend money on the glass instead of the "disposable" bodies.

You are yet to answer me why bodies are disposable.

crazzy88ss    66

You are yet to answer me why bodies are disposable.

... I didn't see a question any where... but ok :/

Are you a pro (receive a "significant" amount of income for photograph. You can define "significant how you want.)? > Yes > You're not shooting a D2hs any more. All pros move from body to body about every 1.5-3 years. Pros have needs for the improvements that new bodies offer, and that's why they upgrade.

No > You don't have a need to shoot at ISO 51,200 at 10 FPS with the best autofocus systems ever invented. You don't have a need for shooting large images with 25mp. Etc etc, and that's why you're still using your older bodies. Your work isn't limited by your gear, and therefore have no reason to continuously upgrade. That's why I still shoot sports with my almost 3 year old D90. It works for my needs and my skills/glass hasn't outgrown it yet.

These are super basic, and there will be a billion exceptions for every situation. Ask people who have been shooting digital for 10 years. Are they still using the same bodies? No. Have them compare their oldest body that gets used "often enough" to the age of their oldest lens that gets used "often enough."

Spend the money on glass, and not bodies.

sanctified    1,225

Pros have needs for the improvements that new bodies offer, and that's why they upgrade.

I agree that money should go on glasses and that is WHY bodies should not been seen as disposable. At least not that fast. A good body should last you for about 4 years, even more if its a high range (1D for example).

I'm a pro, I'm one of the most experienced photographers on this site, if not the most. That argument about improvements it's bull****. Creatives works with what they have, not just it's because the latest.

crazzy88ss    66

Most of my experience is in photojournalism, and that's often where my mind goes to first when I think of "pros." They're all using the latest n greatest gear, whether they buy it themselves or their company provides it to them.

If you're doing a lot of studio stuff, a lot of things w/ lights, you don't need new gear because everything's the same at 1FPS @ ISO100.

4 years ago was a D2Hs. No thanks. My D90 outperforms that.

sanctified    1,225

Most of my experience is in photojournalism, and that's often where my mind goes to first when I think of "pros." They're all using the latest n greatest gear, whether they buy it themselves or their company provides it to them.

If you're doing a lot of studio stuff, a lot of things w/ lights, you don't need new gear because everything's the same at 1FPS @ ISO100.

4 years ago was a D2Hs. No thanks. My D90 outperforms that.

If you're into photojournalism why the hell are you using a D90? You need something lightweight and fast with great optics.

Also, you're showing an unexpected lack of photogray kbowledge if you think the only two extremes of pros are either journalist or studio photopgraphers.

remus_lupin    10

I don't feel like getting into your (crazzy and sanctified) discussion...

However, I feel it is worth mentioning that the OP HAS stated that he will be upgrading his body within the next year or so anyway. So for HIM his first body TRULY is "disposable".

Because this is the route he is taking now (buying another body in around a year from now) then he should focus more on the lenses anyway and get a lower end body.

Draconian Guppy    13,038

However, I feel it is worth mentioning that the OP HAS stated that he will be upgrading his body within the next year or so anyway. So for HIM his first body TRULY is "disposable".

Because this is the route he is taking now (buying another body in around a year from now) then he should focus more on the lenses anyway and get a lower end body.

Which is precisely what I'm saying! Instead of buying a body now, then a new body later next year, just save up and buy a high end body to begin with along with some nice glass.'

Crazysah    7

Hopefully in a year but most likely in 2 years.

What would be a good body then? I can't save up more until the end of the summer and I'd like to have the camera for my summer trip.

Crazysah

Argote    73

Which is precisely what I'm saying! Instead of buying a body now, then a new body later next year, just save up and buy a high end body to begin with along with some nice glass.'

I disagree, seeing how the OP lives in India, he can probably buy a body in the US now (I assume he's going soon since that seems to be what he mentioned) and he can sell it in India in a year FOR A PROFIT (if it's anything like Mexico) to fund his next body.

Crazysah    7

First of all, I"m in America right now. Studying in college. So I'm here for a good 3 years more but I will be going back to India in the summer and winter so I could sell it there. So, anymore suggestions?

Crazysah    7

Anyone else have any suggestions?