• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Buying a new TV

game_over    801

I'm looking for a Tv with a bit of a budget, either 40,42"

Does anyone have any experience with these models:

Samsung LE40C530

LG 42LD450

Samsung LE40C550

LG 42LE4500

LG 42LD490

The last is the most expensive but it's the only 1 with freeview HD and ethernet and other crap built in, i don't want to pay extra for those features i wont use.

I'm really just looking for the best picture quality, i'd like good sound but it's not essential as i could upgrade that.

I do use it for PS3 gaming (if it ever comes back online)

And i'm upgrading from a basic 32" Sanyo i bought from ASDA so probably all of those will be much better quality? I have no idea what to look out for when it comes to TV spec.

Pow    23

I have the LG 47LD450 - so the 47 inch model not the 42. And I have to say it's perfect. I dont have any faults with it at all. Very clear.

game_over    801

I have the LG 47LD450 - so the 47 inch model not the 42. And I have to say it's perfect. I dont have any faults with it at all. Very clear.

Thanks i may go for that then.

I've just realised one of them is LED, which is better LCD or LED?

-Himanshu-    123

LED is better than LCD.

MightyJordan    7,565

I've just realised one of them is LED, which is better LCD or LED?

Well, LED TVs are just LCD TVs with an LED backlight, but it apparently has a positive overall effect (I haven't got an LED TV at home, so I can't really compare); it's meant to give a better picture, and it also reduces overall power consumption.

Also, I'm not sure if this is 100% true, but I remember being told by an employee in Dixons years ago that Samsung and LG TVs were all built in the same factory with the same parts. Not sure if that's true, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

game_over    801

Gone are the days when a TV was a TV.. now it's talking about game input lag, mhz, processors.. i really don't have a clue.

BGM    101

go for an LED one for sure as they consume less power..

but to be honest, any of those will be fine... i quite like Samsung but most panels (esp LG & Sammy) are made in the same factory now anyway!

like you say, if you don't want the bells and whistles don't pay for them..

if i had to choose, id probs go with the 42LE4500, in fact i may actually get one! :D

Axel    95

Gone are the days when a TV was a TV.. now it's talking about game input lag, mhz, processors.. i really don't have a clue.

Since you're in the UK, may I suggest you pop down to John Lewis if there is one near you (they have a pretty huge range of TV's) and pick one you like the look of. Play with it and see which interface you like best. I personally like Sony's but they're a bit pricier than most so my next bes bet is Samsung. JL's also give you a 5 year warranty for free and will match any competitors price.

A lot of the TV's are much of a muchness nowadays. I'd say try and get one which is LED backlit and avoid 3D (but this is a personal preference).

Best of luck :)

BGM    101

don't forget to pick one you like the remote control of too!!

this small detail once made me reconsider a tv that i nearly bought, much to the amusement of the sales assistant!! **** ;)

Axel    95

Is there a chance you could specify your approximate budget?

don't forget to pick one you like the remote control of too!!

this small detail once made me reconsider a tv that i nearly bought, much to the amusement of the sales assistant!! **** ;)

It's all in the details :laugh:

MightyJordan    7,565

Yep, Richer Sounds is probably the best place to get a TV. That's where I got my Samsung 32" TV over a year and a half ago for ?300, and it's still fantastic. :)

game_over    801

I've reserved the 42LD49 at richersounds, but a friend said Samsung is light years ahead and the quality is much better. i know with the LD49 i'm paying for the freeview HD and the Samsung 40" are ?60 cheaper... Would the Samsung be better?

wotadvert7    0

You can get a Big Plamsa tv in less then 300 Euro as well and a Quality one =)

shakey    1,127

I've reserved the 42LD49 at richersounds, but a friend said Samsung is light years ahead and the quality is much better. i know with the LD49 i'm paying for the freeview HD and the Samsung 40" are ?60 cheaper... Would the Samsung be better?

What did you go with? Samsung and Sony have the best pictures by far... and if you haven't got a new TV yet, 3D is cheap now.

game_over    801

What did you go with? Samsung and Sony have the best pictures by far... and if you haven't got a new TV yet, 3D is cheap now.

I got the LG 42LD49 and couldn't be happier with it... HD is amazing on cable and PS3

shakey    1,127

I got the LG 42LD49 and couldn't be happier with it... HD is amazing on cable and PS3

you mean 42ld490? Not bad for the price at all. Looks like it will do very well for what you described.

I'm surprised though at how quickly the price of TV's have dropped within the last few months. the TV I paid almost 3 grand for is now just under $2000... and the 3D counter to it, being 10 inches bigger, is $300 less than what I paid for my TV :/ , but once you get a TV that you are happy with, especially HD, you should be set until it goes out lol.

How is that freeview?

game_over    801

you mean 42ld490? Not bad for the price at all. Looks like it will do very well for what you described.

I'm surprised though at how quickly the price of TV's have dropped within the last few months. the TV I paid almost 3 grand for is now just under $2000... and the 3D counter to it, being 10 inches bigger, is $300 less than what I paid for my TV :/ , but once you get a TV that you are happy with, especially HD, you should be set until it goes out lol.

How is that freeview?

yes the 490, sorry.

as far as i know i couldn't get the Freeview HD in my area, i only had basic channels that all worked great, i dont know if i was doing it wrong, as i have a HD cable service i didn't spend too much time on it.

Yeah the price drops are crazy, i paid ?330 for my 32" and didn't get anywhere near that resale value exactly a year later.