Samsung LCD TV Flickers like MAD

About a week ago my (less than a year-old) 46'' Samsung LCD TV (LN46C650) started flickering like crazy while watching HD channels (analog channels were fine). After a mere minute of watching I got serious headache.

I called the Samsung support and was told it was my cable company, and that I should be contacting them. I told myself "Fine, let's wait and see" as the issue was affecting the TV at random times and there was a chance it was indeed the cable company (though highly unlikely as my HTPC was showing the same channel perfectly through HDMI).

Few days passed and now it affects most of the channels along with the HDMI (from my HTPC) and Samsung Picture Diagnostic mode.

I called the support again, and this time was told to lower the brightness (to 7 from 9) and watch it in the Movie mode (was in Standard). In the Movie mode the screen is darker and colors are paler - though it doesn't flicker. But it's the only mode where it doesn't flicker out of the available Dynamic, Standard, Natural and Movie modes.

Supposedly (ehm, ehm) this is going to fix the issue and everything should be dandy after 2-3 weeks .. The problem is - my warranty EXPIRES in 2 weeks (on May 24th).

My thought on that:

Samsung treats it as a non-issues while the TV is still on warranty, after that it will become an issue for which I will have to pay (most likely backlight bulb replacement).

And their "solution"? It's like asking a car owner to drive 20 miles below the speed when there's a problem with the brakes.

Here's a video:

• 3 weeks later...

I understand this may well 'fix' the issue but I would say call them again and tell them your not happy to wait as it may go out of warranty and not fix the option. Basically don't take no for an answer.. Don't wait bro as this could be a nightmare when out of warranty. I would do the safe thing and try to get them to repair, if the guy on the phone wont help ask for his superior and so on.

I for one would not wait and see its not worth the risk. It may well be a common issue but how can they information they told you be a 'fix', what is the original issue why does it occur? Did they explain that to you?

Basically, the TV is not working properly - therefore it should be replaced as it is under warranty.

I would tell them that and say that's the end of the story as far as you're concerned.

My suggestion would be to call Samsung back, and tell them the back-light goes off all together for minutes at a time , this way you get your RMA and you can get your tv fixed. Also, after it is fixed you can get extended warranties from Samsung themselves.

• 9 months later...

I've been dealing with Samsung on this issue.

My 40" LCD was out of warranty when it started flickering (purchased October 2010; flickering started January 2012) I changed it to 'movie' per the earlier post and even that went flicker-y after a while.

I called samsung and told them that this issue is all over the internet (it is). They agreed to pay parts and labor for the repair. The guy just left and this is what I know from him. In the 46" and above, it's the jumper issue. In my tv, and possibly smaller, it's the panel. He's ordering a panel and will be back when it comes in.

Meanwhile, the tv has gone back to intermittant flickering and the least flickering is on the 'movie' setting.

I hope this helps future searchers of "samsung lcd flickering."

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have same problem with my LN46C610 samsung TV. But I didn't see said model on "gnash" video clip.

Please gnash can you provide which jumper I have to remove for LN46C610?