• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Has the UK Apple TV (2nd gen.) situation improved since launch?

+Elliot B.    1,573

I was reading the CNET UK review and spotted some issues. However, the article was written around the time of the product's launch, so things are likely to have changed since then.

Can someone let me know if the following three points have improved?:

In the UK, however, things are different. When we saw Apple TV, the 'TV shows' tab was notably absent from the menu interface, and there's no Netflix either. These things could change, and hopefully will if Apple manages to secure network deals here in the UK.
Prices are also a little odd here in Blighty. To start with, the whole package costs ?99, compared to $99 in the US. First-run movies will also cost ?4.49 to rent, which makes us think Apple has forgotten that exchange rates exist.
You can also access content from sites like YouTube and Flickr, and MobileMe.

Also, anything else you wish to add regarding chances since launch? :)

fukachu    2

From their website,

Movie Rentals: from ?3.49 HD / ?2.49 SD

As for TV shows I personally have no idea, I'm not in the UK.

Netflix on the other hand you can get running in any country. There are instructions for this on various websites but I'm not sure how neowin treats the legality of that here as it requires using a service for pretending your internet traffic is coming from the US.

Of course if you wan to jailbreak then you can add XBMC and use the various plugins to access things like BBC iplayer and so forth.

andrew_f    26

Nothing like iPlayer, LoveFilm or anything like that. The new Honeycomb powered Google TV on the other hand has the marketplace, so would have these. That may be worth considering?

• Like 1

fukachu    2

Nothing like iPlayer, LoveFilm or anything like that.

You are incorrect about iPlayer, it will work with XBMC on a jailbroken atv2. So will other catchup services, there are plugins for these. LoveFilm is not possible though. Of course they won't work flawlessly, if the content provider changes something the plugin will break and how quickly it is fixed, if at all, is up to the independent developer.

saxondale.    15

I can see great potential in the Apple TV but i still don't think it's the right time for people in the UK to get one.

TheLegendOfMart    1,558

Dont think it will ever be popular, its capable of 1080p but is limited to 720p output, massive fail right there.

witalit    15

Dont think it will ever be popular, its capable of 1080p but is limited to 720p output, massive fail right there.

Yeah I was intested to get an Apple TV when they released the 1st gen. For me though it seems way to limited 720p would be fine for me as my current HDTV only goes upto that. I went and bought all the components to create a cheap much more powerful HTPC.. I need a new slimline case though as current one is big and cheap.