More Mango features leak.

What I'm really waiting for:

* Nokia handset

* true multitasking

* audio/video scrubbing

I just don't believe HTC/Samsung have what it takes to make a superior phone.

Would not bother with WP7 yet. I detest it at the moment and wish I stayed with iphone. The phone should have released with Mango at the moment it is sub par. All this cloud bull is annoying you can not even back up contacts to outlook and vice versa (don't tell me to get the hotmail import addon because other phones do not need it... and it should be standard feature). Mango will deliver much needed features and fixes, so fingers crossed the platform should get better and more attractive.

I reckon it might be made available to Dev's on or soon after the 24th. Fingers crossed I will be able to test it on the phone got my dev account boxed off :laugh:

Call me a fanboy or whatever but since I moved to WP7 last November, I didn't touch my iPhone (3G) until recently. I have to use iPad2/iPhone 4 at work and typing in iOS just doesn't feel right. This after July 2008-Nov2010 dedicated iPhone use. :p

There are things missing compared to iOS but I wouldn't call WP7 subpar, iOS lacks things compared to WP7 (though not as much). I firmly believe that WP7 is a worthy choice for anyone in the market today. :)

The probably only true reason for not picking WP7 over iPhone is hardware, Microsoft should not have licensed WP7 to LG and HTC's AT&T variants. :p Focus is a bit better but battery cover needs redesign.

p.s. If you are curious, things that I feel are lacking in iOS

- UI feels slow compared to WP7 (this is obviously perception but still important). Remember, I am using iPad2 not something older.

-The settings app in iOS has lost some of its simplicity after a few years of iterations. I can't get to Safari settings from within safari?

- The lock screen is so much wasted space

- media controls are much more difficult to get to (now that double click of home button does task switching)

- When I turned on the new iPhone4 at work and saw that "connect to iTunes" screens, I was irritated :) with WP7 (same with Android) all I needed was my Windows Live id and phone was up and running in a few mins while the AT&T guy was setting up my account. This is even more frustrating with iPad. iPad2 is probably more powerful than some netbooks out there but then it can't work on its own? :huh: Apple needs to reduce the importance of iTunes IMO.

and so on but I digress...

Nothing Microsoft could really do about the sub-standard hardware, they need to get WP7 out in the wild. But once the Nokia handsets start coming, we're in for a treat.

OEM's played it safe, if they feel sales will be better they'll put better hardware in there. Nokia has pretty much went all in so good hardware from them is a given, no real choice. Will HTC and Samsung etc do the same? I think so, maybe not as many WP models as Nokia (12 that we know about for next year) maybe 2 from Samsung and 3 or 4 from HTC? Either way the next batch using the newer snapdragon chipsets is a good start, better GPU performance and so on.

The rest will be features and marketing. I always felt like MS didn't go strong enough with the marketing due to the missing features in the OS at this point which made it a easy target to counter attack. Instead they focused on the speed of the UI and how quick you could do things, which is what it wins on in the end. After Mango though I bet they'll go way harder with the marketing etc. And I see no reason not to, time to attack the others more etc. The droid took off because of it's "droid does" marketing which directly attacked the iPhone back then, winning on it's more features etc.

Can we have some patience? I get a feeling that once Mango is released, the consumers are going to be WOWed.

no. currently 3/4th of new smartphones being sold are Androids. Galaxy S2 is getting rave reviews and there are tonnes of Android phones out there that are better than WP7 handsets hardware wise. but the biggest hurdle for WP7 adoption would be convince iOS /Android customers not only to give up their existing handset but also the ecosystem they are used to.

Mango is turning out to be f**king awesome, if they dont get it into to market sooner, WP7 will end up like Opera - awesome browser that nobody uses. If Mango hits market than expected , it'd also be good for MS as a company - both in terms of perception and ability to execute, It'll be a stunning answer to dime a dozen critics that they can match and in some cases beat iOS 5 and Android 3.1 within a year of OS release. that too with an OS built from scratch.

A sooner than expected Mango release will also shore up MS's tablet strategy where among other things they can promise seamless integration between tablets,Phone and PCs as its major selling point.