Connect to NAS from secondary router.

I am trying to access my NAS from outside my network. I know that its possible based on all the apps available but I am clueless when it comes to port forwarding. Before I get started I want to make sure that having it hooked up to a secondary router its still possible (reason its hooked up to the secondary router is for the gigabit ports from NAS to PC). Thanks!

Current setup -

Router 1 (Actiontec - provided by ISP and required for additional TV features) - 192.168.1.1

Port 1 - Xbox 360

Port 2 - TV

Port 3 - Sony Bluray

Port 4 - Secondary Router

Router 2 - Asus RTN56U - 192.168.2.1

Port 1 - NAS - 192.168.2.79

Port 2 - PS3

Port 3 - PC

Port 4 - empty

variety of wifi items like netbook, ipad, ipod, pc hooked up to Router 1

Does your seconday router need to be set as a router? Could you just set it up on the same subnet as the first router, disable it's dhcp server, and allow the first router to assign the dhcp addresses to both. I have don this on some of my networks before.

Does your seconday router need to be set as a router? Could you just set it up on the same subnet as the first router, disable it's dhcp server, and allow the first router to assign the dhcp addresses to both. I have don this on some of my networks before.

Not sure if it needs to be set up as a router. If all of the devices can have an internet connection on the secondary router then it makes no difference to me. If I disable the DHCP on the secondary router will that just put the IP address back in the 192.168.1.X network? (I am guessing if I do this, I will not be able to keep both Wi-Fi networks going)

If the secondary router's DHCP is disabled, then when a device requests an address, they will get one from the primary router which would be with 192.168.1.x. The secondary router should also obtain it's address from the primary router's DHCP. You may also want to fix it's address on the primary router's DHCP assignment. to be maybe 192.168.1.2 if your primary is defined as 192.168.1.1. That way your router address will be easy to remember.

Yeah you got a double nat there - your going to have all kinds of issues with that trying to port forward into things behind the 2nd nat from the internet.

As suggested I would remove the double nat, then its just a simple port forward at your first router.

Use your 2nd router as just an accesspoint - here

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233

Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point

And yes you can still use wireless on both of them. You never had a need for second router, you only ever need was a switch for faster ports or an accesspoint to extend wireless, etc. But sure a cheap gig wireless router can serve both functions. You just set it up wrong is all ;)

Ok - ASUS router made it very easy to switch over to access point - so thank you Shawn and Budman. I now have everything on 192.168.1.X, def makes it much easier to see all of the devices connected. Is there an easy way to get access to my NAS from outside the network like DMZ? Or is the only method port forwarding?

It is not practical to forward ports for Windows File Sharing from the Internet, especially for security reasons.

To access it externally you will need to setup a VPN server, some routers offer a VPN server bult in, otherwise you will need to set one up yourself.

There are easy to use home-based VPN solutions available which are a breeze to set up on your PC. Hamachi is free for non-commercial use.

If you don't want to setup a VPN and you just need to access some files remotely, depending on the file size you can use a "cloud storage" service to sync some of the files to an online storage location, such as Dropbox or Windows Live Mesh/Sync/Skydrive.

It is not practical to forward ports for Windows File Sharing from the Internet, especially for security reasons.

To access it externally you will need to setup a VPN server, some routers offer a VPN server bult in, otherwise you will need to set one up yourself.

There are easy to use home-based VPN solutions available which are a breeze to set up on your PC. Hamachi is free for non-commercial use.

If you don't want to setup a VPN and you just need to access some files remotely, depending on the file size you can use a "cloud storage" service to sync some of the files to an online storage location, such as Dropbox or Windows Live Mesh/Sync/Skydrive.

The NAS I am using requires username/password for access so I figured it would be somewhat secure - but the external app I use requires the IP address....

Who said anything about windows fire sharing - most any nas would also support ftp or even http as a method of file access. But yes smb/cifs across the internet - not a good idea and most likely would not work anyway.

Ah I see you linked to your model - just use ftp or http as your transfer file access method, I see that device supports both. Forward port 21 or 80 to your nas IP = done

Who said anything about windows fire sharing - most any nas would also support ftp or even http as a method of file access. But yes smb/cifs across the internet - not a good idea and most likely would not work anyway.

Ah I see you linked to your model - just use ftp or http as your transfer file access method, I see that device supports both. Forward port 21 or 80 to your nas IP = done

Ok, I def want to set up the FTP so I will set those ports when I get home. Is it possible to set it up so I can type in an IP address and get the same web gui I do at home when I type in 192.168.1.79, I have an app on my phone called DS Audio which allows the streaming of music from the NAS but requires the IP address to access (or am I back to setting up the VPN via hamachi?)

If your going to want access to your nas like you have on your lan then yes a VPN would be the solution.

Sure you could most likely use hamachi vpn to do this(unless they have changed their products you use to be able to do it with the free one) - I recall seeing a way to set this up to allow access to the local network the hamachi box is on.. Would have to look up a guide on how to do it, I don't use it day to day - only have ever just played with it.

I use openvpn to access my network, and the openvpn runs on my router. But sure hamachi should be a viable option to allow vpn into your network and therefore access to your nas just like your on your network - just a little slower since you would be connecting over your wan connection and not a local lan network.