Ed Bott : Adobe and Skype top my Foistware Hall of Shame

Fox it reader is one of the worst

capturertb.jpg

Not only do you have to uncheck the pre selected check mark boxes but you also have to click decline. They make it you think its just like any other software install were you have to click allow to continue. Not the case. ********!

I honestly believe cruft being installed with software is a just punishment for people who can't be bothered to read anything when installing software.

While I hate that they take longer to update it, Ccleaner has a slim build with no toolbar.

I also disagree with the autor on the Apple stuff. Only 3rd party bloat is bad? crap is crap no matter who makes it.

This annoying recent trend of including toolbars with the setup has made people wary and mindful of the installation process.

Before it just used to be: double-click setup.exe -> Next ->Next ......... -> Next -> Finish. Done.

Atleast now a good percentage of users actually pay attention lol

Either way, I'm against the whole "install software" mindset, I'm a staunch believer in portable apps: Extract -> Finish. Done.

Beauty in simplicity.

It's wishful thinking but I do hope the big corporations change their software so that they become truly portable.

Missed Acrobat Reader and Java too. And that Flash likes to dump Adobe's Download Manager on your system too for no good reason. Foxit is just such an amazing POS on all fronts.

Java is also guilty of this but Apple is the worst by virtue of the fact that they continue to install their crapware even when you explicitly uncheck it in the installer.

Isn't Shark007's codec pack the worst? I've always been careful over the years to lookout for third party software, but Shark007 caught me out for the first time and I found Bing Toolbar got installed.

Summary

I am sick and tired of software companies that try to make a quick buck by tricking their customers into installing programs they don?t need. It?s time to name and shame the worst purveyors of foistware out there. Adobe and Skype are at the top of my list. Can you add more nominees?

Dear Mr. Ed Bott , here's are my two nominees:

- http://downloads.zdnet.com/

- http://download.cnet.com/

One-third of the software listed on your company websites (CBS interactive) is bundled with toolbars, adware, spyware and other crap. Clean your house first!

Now Microsoft owns Skype will the Google Toolbar still be an install option?

What the hell kind of term is "Foistware"? Sounds like a product Tampax would release. Anyway, Foxit is pretty bad for trying to scam people into installing toolbars and similar crapware, but Copernic is bang on the mark, ZDNet and CNet are the biggest peddlers of this crap on the web.

What the hell kind of term is "Foistware"? Sounds like a product Tampax would release. Anyway, Foxit is pretty bad for trying to scam people into installing toolbars and similar crapware, but Copernic is bang on the mark, ZDNet and CNet are the biggest peddlers of this crap on the web.

I don't know that ZDNet and CNet are responsible for coding the software they make available. I don't know that this is a case of hypocrisy on the part of Ed Bott. He seems rather to be complaining about a general software problem.

Scratch that! Just saw warwagon's post above.

I'm not trying to start any problems here, but I am curious if anyone knows of Linux programs that do this. I haven't seen any, but surely there might be at least one.

I don't know that ZDNet and CNet are responsible for coding the software they make available. I don't know that this is a case of hypocrisy on the part of Ed Bott. He seems rather to be complaining about a general software problem.

I'm not trying to start any problems here, but I am curious if anyone knows of Linux programs that do this. I haven't seen any, but surely there might be at least one.

This is true, they don't force anything into the installers, but the website is full of big buttons that say "CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD" which I must admit I've clicked more times than I should have, when instead I should have clicked the tiny hyperlink half way down the page.

As for the Linux thing, I can't speak for all Linux freeware, but I've never seen any bundling going on. Linux installers aren't traditionally as interactive as Windows installers, since it's usually just a shell script to install, and even then, most distros use a package manager which avoids the whole thing in the first place.

As for the Linux thing, I can't speak for all Linux freeware, but I've never seen any bundling going on. Linux installers aren't traditionally as interactive as Windows installers, since it's usually just a shell script to install, and even then, most distros use a package manager which avoids the whole thing in the first place.

Yes, that is my impression as well. I just haven't seen any 'trickery' or 'pushing' on Linux, and it's been nearly four years. I'm sure it could happen, but, as you note, it is less likely to happen given the way installing software tends to work.

I think with the ascension of the Windows Marketplace v2 with Windows 8, "Foistware" (god I hate that word :p) will die on its own since there will probably be some unified installation method. One can hope :p

The latest in this string of nonsense that comes along is download manager. If they are really trying to be helpful they would provide two options one with download manager and one without. Otherwise they are just trying to shove stuff down people's throat.

The latest in this string of nonsense that comes along is download manager. If they are really trying to be helpful they would provide two options one with download manager and one without. Otherwise they are just trying to shove stuff down people's throat.

You mean Adobe ? : you are downloading it wrong. Example : to download flash for IE, download it with Firefox/opera. To download Firefox/opera plug-in download it with IE, than Adobe won't force the download of download manager (but still suggest ask toolbar).

Never update online.