Apple to Update Mac OS X to Remove 'Mac Defender' Malware

Because you're trying to sell your personal theories as facts and I want to see you backup your claims. Simple as that. Four pages later and you still haven't been able to give a single piece of real hard evidence of such practices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQb_Q8WRL_g&feature=player_embedded

Which reps are those?? Please, as we have asked you before, show us any evidence of this.

The ones hired in Apple stores, giving advice to customers. I don't know their names specifically, if that's what you're expecting.

Because it's blatantly obvious Apple hasn't. Their reps continue to sell the BS as Apple turns a blind eye to it. Even you are of the opinion that it's "not realistic to expect Apple to debunk positive myths surrounding their products".

Apple was quick to order its reps to not confirm malware infections, but it allowed the misinformation to spread for decades. Again, it's the reason why MacDefender is such big news at all. I really don't see how you can argue that the lack of action wasn't deliberate.

Show us hard evidence of what you're claiming instead of repeating the same thing over and over. If you can't just admit these are just your personal theories instead of trying to pass them off as facts.

Snipped YouTube video

I already debunked what you're trying to say by posting that video.

Again, show us proof of what you're claiming instead of repeating the same thing over and over.

You mean other proof apart from the lack of action on Apple's part to rein in their reps and debunk the BS?

I'm not sure why you're so determined on rejecting reality (well, other than the obvious reason, of course). It's like refusing to look at the sky and seeing that it's actually blue, and just demanding that people prove it to you.

Just when did PC become synonymous with Windows? And what exactly are Macs if not Personal Computers? And why is it that they can not be infected by a virus specifically targeting Mac Personal Computers?

You mean other proof apart from the lack of action on Apple's part to rein in their reps and debunk the BS?

I'm not sure why you're so determined on rejecting reality (well, other than the obvious reason, of course). It's like refusing to look at the sky and seeing that it's actually blue, and just demanding that people prove it to you.

If it's so obvious and clear you should be able to come up with hard evidence to back up your claims, which of course you can't. The lack of action on Apple's part to debunk myths isn't proof. Companies don't have to react to what people imagine themselves.

Just when did PC become synonymous with Windows? And what exactly are Macs if not Personal Computers? And why is it that they can not be infected by a virus specifically targeting Mac Personal Computers?

The term "PC" as a platform has been marketed as being Windows-based computers for a while now. Just like the Mac platform refers to computers running Mac OS. Many software titles and hardware now and in the past have/had a "PC" stamp on their retail boxes which indicated they were written for computers running Windows, not Linux or Mac OS.

When talking about Mac or PC, we're talking about Mac OS or Windows. Everyone knows that.

If it's so obvious and clear you should be able to come up with hard evidence to back up your claims, which of course you can't.

How do I prove to you that I had an apple for breakfast three days ago, for example? What kind of hard evidence do I give for that?

It's obvious and clear to anyone who sees it. It's obvious and clear among the Mac community who aren't diehard apologists, because that's what they've seen and heard for themselves. Just because you choose to be ignorant about it means just that: you choose to be ignorant about it. No more, no less.

The lack of action on Apple's part to debunk myths isn't proof. Companies don't have to react to what people imagine themselves.

Wrong as usual. It's perfect proof of what I've been saying: that Apple chose to allow these myths to be perpetrated for years even though they've shown they have complete control over exactly what they want their reps to say. And you're right that companies don't have to be ethical and responsible. I'm not saying that Apple has to be, I'm just showing that they aren't.

I already debunked what you're trying to say by posting that video.

Your debunking was as good as my conclusion so no, you didn't.

LOL at Apple and Mac users getting a dose of reality..

This patch is nothing.. It's a PR move to try to silence millions of users who got infected. It doesn't solve virus issues on Macs that are happening more and more.

Here's an advice for less technical Mac users (most of them are).. get an anti-virus software. If you didn't live in delusion that OSX is impenetrable, you wouldn't have these issues to begin with and that's 100% Apple's responsibility because they propagated this ignorance and false safety because it made them look better.

oh hi it's my favourite trolll! here is the definition of a virus because you have no idea

a software program capable of reproducing itself and usually capable of causing great harm to files or other programs on the same computer; "a true virus cannot spread to another computer without human assistance"

that means mac defender isn't a virus (Y)

Your debunking was as good as my conclusion so no, you didn't.

The video from 2006, before Windows Vista and Windows 7 were released, says there are 114.000 known viruses out in the wild for PCs, but not for Macs. There's no lie in that.

How do I prove to you that I had an apple for breakfast three days ago, for example? What kind of hard evidence do I give for that?

It's obvious and clear to anyone who sees it. It's obvious and clear among the Mac community who aren't diehard apologists, because that's what they've seen and heard for themselves. Just because you choose to be ignorant about it means just that: you choose to be ignorant about it. No more, no less.

Find testimonies online from multiple representatives that said they were ordered by Apple to do what you claim. Find a legal case where Apple has been found guilty of this etc. etc.

It's obvious and clear for anyone who would like to see Apple discredited. The rest of us simply remain skeptical of your claims and want some hard evidence. If you can't simply admit these are your own personal theories and interpretations and we can be done with going back and forth.

Wrong as usual. It's perfect proof of what I've been saying: that Apple chose to allow these myths to be perpetrated for years even though they've shown they have complete control over exactly what they want their reps to say. And you're right that companies don't have to be ethical and responsible. I'm not saying that Apple has to be, I'm just showing that they aren't.

The fact that people interpreted things a certain way and spread them around the internet and on the streets isn't proof that Apple is the source of that misinformation, certain people themselves are. Beyond that Apple has no real control over what thrid-party resellers tell their customers in order to make a sale. Anyone with half a brain and a real interest in things can learn the truth about what malware affects Macs and which don't. Simple as that.

The video from 2006, before Windows Vista and Windows 7 were released, says there are 114.000 known viruses out in the wild for PCs, but not for Macs. There's no lie in that.

Yeah, you know, I think it is funny that the only evidence that these guys can summon up is a 5 year old advertisement that, no matter how you interpret it, was true at the time that it was made.

Lies, no. Just the right amount of misdirection to nudge people towards the desired conclusion, coupled by Apple's lack of action in debunking the myths they set into motion themselves.

The fact that Apple didn't "officially" say so is just a mere technicality. For all intents and purposes, they've led users into believing a lie that's helpful for marketing purposes, and aren't required to apologize either when the myth is finally shattered - the diehard apologists are all crawling out of the woodwork to defend Apple's lack of ethics and responsibility for them.

You were asking for proof of Apple claiming Macs don't have any virus problem, that's your proof. Don't try to put qualifications on what applies and what doesn't. If we go by that then Nimda, ILOVEU etc never happened and Windows 7 is the safest OS in the world (or "Windows 7 doesn't get XP viruses").

• Like 1

Just when did PC become synonymous with Windows?

Oh, and I guessed you missed the article here yesterday where Dell claimed to make the "world's thinnest 15" PC", except for the fact that the 15" Macbook Pro is thinner (since Dell doesn't consider a Mac to be a PC).

You were asking for proof of Apple claiming Macs don't have any virus problem, that's your proof.

And as .Neo and I have pointed out, that video is FIVE ****ING YEARS OLD, and was absolutely true at the time that it was made.

You were asking for proof of Apple claiming Macs don't have any virus problem, that's your proof. Don't try to put qualifications on what applies and what doesn't. If we go by that then Nimda, ILOVEU etc never happened and Windows 7 is the safest OS in the world (or "Windows 7 doesn't get XP viruses").

The video you posted is five years old and was true at the time. The video isn't on Apple's website today nor is it being aired on television anymore. What don't you get about that? You would have a point, sort of, if the commercial was still being used by Apple today.

Find testimonies online from multiple representatives that said they were ordered by Apple to do what you claim. Find a legal case where Apple has been found guilty of this etc. etc.

PUH-leeze.

The fact is that Apple has on numerous occasions emphasized that Macs don't get Windows malware while underplaying the very important fact there are Mac malware too (and we all know what sort of conclusion average users are going to walk away with). The fact is that Apple never took any steps to stop its reps even though it has both the power and opportunities to. The fact is that this BS didn't pop up last month or last year, it's been going on for years and decades.

If you can come to any conclusion that makes sense other than deliberate irresponsibility and lack of ethics on Apple's part, I'd love to hear it.

Beyond that Apple has no real control over what thrid-party resellers tell their customers in order to make a sale.

Actually, given how being fired from the job is one of the possible retributions of defying Apple's order to not confirm malware infections on Macs... yes, they do.

to quote Jon Stewart, this is not even fun any more...

As .Neo has repeatedly asked, please show where Apple has EVER said that. Until you can prove that, STFU and stop claiming that they did.

Oh, and I guessed you missed the article here yesterday where Dell claimed to make the "world's thinnest 15" PC", except for the fact that the 15" Macbook Pro is thinner (since Dell doesn't consider a Mac to be a PC).

And as .Neo and I have pointed out, that video is FIVE ****ING YEARS OLD, and was absolutely true at the time that it was made.

p.s. not related but I think dell was stupid in saying that and even then I think they said thinnest "Windows PC" but I may be wrong. ;)

The video you posted is five years old and was true at the time. The video isn't on Apple's website today nor is it being aired on television anymore. What don't you get about that? You would have a point, sort of, if the commercial was still being used by Apple today.

And I have already said, I don't have any motivation to dig up the any recent quotes (and even if I did you will find some other silly reason to "debunk" that). This was an easy to dig up thing.

The fact is that Apple has on numerous occasions emphasized that Macs don't get Windows malware while underplaying the very important fact there are Mac malware too (and we all know what sort of conclusion average users are going to walk away with). The fact is that Apple never took any steps to stop its reps even though it has both the power and opportunities to. The fact is that this BS didn't pop up last month or last year, it's been going on for years and decades.

The only facts here are that Apple hasn't lied in their marketing strategies when it comes to Macs and viruses and that you don't have any concrete evidence to back up your claims with.

Actually, given how being fired from the job is one of the possible retributions of defying Apple's order to not confirm malware infections on Macs... yes, they do.

There's a difference between third-party resellers and Apple Stores. Apple has little control over third-party resellers since the people there aren't employed by Apple.

The only facts here are that Apple hasn't lied in their marketing strategies when it comes to Macs and viruses and that you don't have any concrete evidence to back up your claims with.

So when you can't come up with a good argument, you just pretend that I haven't given any concrete evidence?

The fact that Apple has let this BS continue for as long as it has and not bothering to debunk when they have every opportunity to it proves it's deliberate on their part. If something that simple is too difficult for you to understand, I'm not sure what more can I say. You can claim to be not taking a stand all you want, but people might be more inclined to believe you on that if you didn't literally dribble Apple Kool-Aid out of your mouth every time you open it.

So when you can't come up with a good argument, you just pretend that I haven't given any concrete evidence?

The fact that Apple has let this BS continue for as long as it has and not bothering to debunk when they have every opportunity to it proves it's deliberate on their part. If something that simple is too difficult for you to understand, I'm not sure what more can I say. You can claim to be not taking a stand all you want, but people might be more inclined to believe you on that if you didn't literally dribble Apple Kool-Aid out of your mouth every time you open it.

Unless you can come up with some real proof I remain skeptical of your claims, simple really. Your personal theories ? concrete evidence. As far as arguing goes, I've already told you why I don't take your words for granted. No real reason to keep going on in a perpetual loop where you keep repeating everything over and over again with me doing the same. To me Apple not officially debunking myths people created themselves ? proof that Apple brought these myths in existence themselves and actively trying to keep them alive. If that's too hard for you to understand I'm not sure what to say either. Trying to attack me on a personal level won't make up your complete and utter failure to present any hard evidence.

Unless you can come up with some real proof I remain skeptical of your claims, simple really. Your personal theories ? concrete evidence.

Right. Because we all know how Apple NOT doing anything for years when they had every opportunity to ISN'T proof that they don't want to.

Sorry, but I'm not sure how do I present evidence to you when it's clear that you're utterly immune to logic.