7-Zip is a open source file archiver with a high compression ratio. The program supports 7z, XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP, WIM, ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DEB, DMG, FAT, HFS, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, RAR, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, VHD, WIM, XAR, Z. Most of the source code is under the GNU LGPL license. The unRAR code is under a mixed license: GNU LGPL + unRAR restrictions. Check license information here: 7-Zip license.
You can use 7-Zip on any computer, including a computer in a commercial organization. You don't need to register or pay for 7-Zip.
The main features of 7-Zip are:
- High compression ratio in new 7z format with LZMA compression
- Compression ratio for ZIP and GZIP formats: 2-10 % better than the ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
- Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats
- Self-extracting capability for 7z format
- Integration with Windows Shell
- Powerful File Manager
- Powerful command line version
- Plugin for FAR Manager
- Localizations for 74 languages
7-Zip 18.02 Beta changelog:
- The speed for single-thread LZMA/LZMA2 decoding was increased by 30% in x64 version and by 3% in x86 version.
- 7-Zip now can use multi-threading for 7z/LZMA2 decoding, if there are multiple independent data chunks in LZMA2 stream.
- 7-Zip now can use multi-threading for xz decoding, if there are multiple blocks in xz stream.
- New localization: Kabyle.
- Some bugs were fixed.
7-Zip 18.03 Beta changelog:
- The bug in 18.02 beta was fixed. It could not create xz archive from GUI.
Update: 7-Zip 18.03 Beta
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware