Despite having to restructure and reorganize, and getting pushed around by Nvidia in the marketplace, AMD still has the energy and drive to improve their products and help their customers make the most of it. You only have to look at their recent AR/VR efforts in partnership with Sulon to see that the company has plenty of fight left in it - however today's news is about the small matter of graphics drivers and control panel software.
The company's latest Radeon Software Crimson Edition release includes a new driver (version 16.20.1013) that is optimized for Overwatch, Total War: Warhammer, as well as the beta version of Vulkan support that comes as a DLC for the latest Dota 2 update. There are also new Crossfire profiles for Overwatch and Total War: Warhammer.
This new release also fixes some know issues, the most important of which have to do with micro-stuttering in Fallout 4 and texture flickering in Tom Clancy's The Division that would happen when running on Crossfire configurations. There was also an issue that caused instability when pairing Intel's Skull Canyon NUC with AMD external graphics solutions via XConnect, which is no longer a problem with the new drivers.
There are still some known issues that affect some of the games mentioned above, including the beta version of Forza Motorsport 6 Apex:
- A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the AMD Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay".
- Total War: Warhammer™ may experience stuttering in AMD Crossfire™ technology mode if the AMD Gaming Evolved App or Plays.Tv is running in the background. A workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved and Plays.Tv applications.
- The Division™ may hang when using Quad AMD Crossfire™ technology. As a workaround users are recommended to disable AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
- Heroes of the Storm™ may experience flickering in AMD Crossfire™ technology mode.
- The AMD Crossfire™ technology mode options in Radeon Settings may not take effect on Origin or Uplay applications.
- Forza Motorsport 6: Apex™ may exhibit brightness flickering when using AMD FreeSync™ technology.
- Frame Rate Target Control gaming profiles may fail to enable for some games.
- Catalyst Install Manager unable to detect the display driver while uninstallation.
You can download the new Radeon Software from the links below:
- AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.3 Driver for Windows® 10, Windows 8.1 & Windows 7 64-bit
- AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.5.3 Driver for Windows® 10, Windows 8.1 & Windows 7 32-bit