Welcome to episode 5 of the Neowin Podcast, the show where Rich Woods and João Carrasqueira talk about all the big news from the past week.
June kicks off with Apple's WWDC developer event, and with it comes a ton of news for all of the company's operating systems. tvOS 13 is getting support for gaming controllers, watchOS 6 has its own App Store, iOS 13 finally has a dark mode, and there's even the (kind of) new iPadOS. Aside from Apple stuff, we also heard some more details about Google's Stadia service, which we found somewhat underwhelming.
Before we get into the episode, here's everything that's discussed this week, along with the timestamps for each topic:
- 0:15 - Apple's WWDC
- 0:52 - tvOS 13 gets Xbox and PS controller support, and multiple users
- 2:15 - WatchOS 6 brings new watch faces, standalone apps, and new health features
- 6:55 - Apple announces iPadOS 13 with support for USB storage and mice; iOS 13 introduces dark mode, a new Photos app, and a 'Sign in with Apple' button
- 22:48 - Hardware requirements for the new updates
- 25:07 - Apple announces macOS 10.15 Catalina with iPad app support, new Apple Music app and more
- 33:48 - Apple announces the new Mac Pro, focusing on power and expansion
- 39:54 - Google Stadia requires 35Mbps for 4K HDR streaming, Founder's Edition coming for $129
- 52:07 - The Edge Dev channel is now available on macOS; Edge for ARM64 leaks; and a new Dev build for Windows 10 is available
- 58:18 - Windows 10 build 18912 is out with Narrator improvements and more
- 1:01:43 - Android Q beta 4 is out with final APIs
The SoundCloud version of this episode is embedded below, but you can also find it on YouTube if you prefer that. And if you'd rather listen via a dedicated podcast app on your phone, you can subscribe to series by using the RSS feed below:
This will let you get new episodes automatically as they're released. Without further ado, here's the episode:
Let us know what you think of this episode in the comments, and stay tuned next week for a new one with more exciting news!