BleachBit quickly frees disk space and tirelessly guards your privacy. Free cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, shred temporary files, delete logs, and discard junk you didn't know was there. Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean 90 applications including Firefox, Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari, and more. Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster. Better than free, BleachBit is open source.
BleachBit has many useful features:
- Simple operation: read the descriptions, check the boxes you want, click preview, and click delete.
- Multi-platform: Linux and Windows
- Free of charge
- Free to share, learn, and modify (open source)
- Free of adware, spyware, and malware
- Translated to 52 languages
- Shred files to hide their contents and prevent data recovery
- Shred any file (such as a spreadsheet on your desktop)
- Overwrite free disk space to hide previously deleted files
- Portable app for Windows: run without installation
- Command line interface for scripting and automation
- CleanerML allows anyone to write a new cleaner using XML
- Automatically import and update winapp2.ini cleaner files (a separate download) giving Windows users access to 500+ additional cleaners
- Frequent software updates with new features and more...
These are the changes since version 1.0:
- When overwriting free disk space is aborted, use a fallback system to make sure the temporary files are deleted before BleachBit exits abnormally; store temporary files in standard temporary file directories; and speed up on Linux.
- Expose Mozilla URL history (places.sqlite) cleaner to CleanerML, so better custom cleaners can be written for Mozilla-based browsers.
- Update Warzone 3.1 for Windows.
- Better find Firefox profiles (LP#1287489; patch by Gogeden)
- Add warnings to some cleaners about deleting passwords (thanks to theatre-x).
- All of BleachBit is now on GitHub across four repositories.
Specific to Windows
- Offer an alternative installer without any (human) language translations, which shrinks installer by 4%.
- Shred integration is optional in installer.
- In case a file does not exist (which typically happens when another process deletes after BleachBit scans it), on Windows show "does not exist" instead of "special file type cannot be deleted"
Specific to Linux / Unix
- Add cleaner for APT package lists.
- Update Konqueror cleaner (thanks to tiemay).
- Update Debian package for Debian and Ubuntu.
- Add Fedora 20 RPM package.
- Add Ubuntu 14.04 DEB package.
- Do not crash on startup for new platforms (in this case, for FreeBSD) .