When your computer is getting full, BleachBit quickly frees disk space. When your information is only your business, BleachBit guards your privacy. With BleachBit you can free cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, shred temporary files, delete logs, and discard junk you didn't know was there.
Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean thousands of applications including Firefox, Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari, and more. Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster. Better than free, BleachBit is open source.
BleachBit has many useful features:
- Delete your private files so completely that "even God can't read them" according to South Carolina Representative Trey Gowdy.
- Simple operation: read the descriptions, check the boxes you want, click preview, and click delete.
- Multi-platform: Linux and Windows
- Free of charge and no money trail
- Free to share, learn, and modify (open source)
- No adware, spyware, malware, browser toolbars, or "value-added software"
- Translated to 64 languages besides American English
- Shred files to hide their contents and prevent data recovery
- Shred any file (such as a spreadsheet on your desktop)
- Overwrite free disk space to hide previously deleted files
- Portable app for Windows: run without installation
- Command line interface for scripting and automation
- CleanerML allows anyone to write a new cleaner using XML
- Automatically import and update winapp2.ini cleaner files (a separate download) giving Windows users access to 2500+ additional cleaners
- Frequent software updates with new features
Going beyond standard deletion of files, BleachBit has several advanced cleaners:
- Clear the memory and swap on Linux
- Delete broken shortcuts on Linux
- Delete the Firefox URL history without deleting the whole file—with optional shredding
- Delete Linux localizations: delete languages you don't use. More powerful than localepurge and available on more Linux distributions.
- Clean APT for Debian, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Linux Mint
- Find widely-scattered junk such as Thumbs.db and .DS_Store files.
- Execute yum clean for CentOS, Fedora, and Red Hat to remove cached package data
- Delete Windows registry keys—often where MRU (most recently used) lists are stored
- Delete the OpenOffice.org recent documents list without deleting the whole Common.xcu file
- Overwrite free disk space to hide previously files
- Vacuum Firefox, Google Chrome, Liferea, Thunderbird, and Yum databases: shrink files without removing data to save space and improve speed
- Surgically remove private information from .ini and JSON configuration files and SQLite3 databases without deleting the whole file
- Overwrite data in SQLite3 before deleting it to prevent recovery (optional)
BleachBit 4.0.0 changelog:
- The application was updated to run on Python 3 instead of Python 2 (thanks mainly to Max Khon).
- Add cleaner for Discord (thanks in part to MarC0).
- Clean more of Google Chrome: IndexDB.
- Clean more of Firefox: cookies, history.
- Clean much more of Opera.
- Clean much more of gPodder (reported by velcroskids3).
- Improve responsiveness of application window while cleaning (reported by gitthepie).
- Fix cleaning custom folders when overwrite open was enabled (reported by Hyde233).
- Fix cleaning VLC (reported by BrendonIrwan; fixed thanks to Max Kohn).
- Fix the application window not appearing or disappearing (fix reported by notonymous; fixed thanks to Max Kohn).
- Fix pop-up notification when cleaning is finished (reported by muessli; fixed thanks in part to Max Kohn).
- Fix copy button in diagnostics window (reported by ediowar).
Specific to Linux
- Support for Python 3 enables BleachBit to continue working on modern Ubuntu distributions that have dropped Python 2.
- Clean dnf autoremove (thanks to klslz).
- Cleaning APT autoremove reports how much space was cleaned (reported by AsciiWolf; fixed thanks to Max Kohn).
- Add packages for Fedora and openSUSE Tumbleweed.
- Fix cleaning VLC on older Linux distributions (reported by v17564).
- Fix pop-up notification when cleaning is done (reported by ineuw).
Specific to Windows
- Add optional Window 10 light and dark themes (thanks to TraistaRafael and Max Kohn).
- Fix: files were leftover after wiping a drive (reported by StaticallyTypedRice; fixed by Max Kohn).
- Update SQLite from 3.28 to 3.31.1.
- Add translations for GTK stock messages such as OK and Cancel (reported by Tobias-B-Besemer; fixed by Max Kohn).
- Re-introduce RPM package for CentOS 8.
- Add cleaner names for Microsoft Edge in Winapp2.ini.
- Fix: all native cleaners were missing in portable mode after downloading Winapp2.ini (reported by ediowar).
- See the list of commits or list of closed issues.
- Packagers, please note many dependency changes related to Python 3.
- In GitHub, the CleanerML repository was moved to the BleachBit organization.
- GitHub shows the bleachbit organization as verified.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware