Today Canon launched the latest in their entry-level Digital Rebel series – the 12.2 Megapixel XSi. Called the 450D in the rest of the world, the Digital Rebel XSi extends the resolution of the Canon CMOS sensor to 12.2 Megapixels from the current Digital Rebel XTi 10.1 megapixel. Also new to the Digital Rebel are a 3.0" LCD with Live View. This is a low-resolution 230,000 3.0" LCD like the Canon 40D – it is not a hi-res 3" screen as seen on the Nikon D300 and Sony A700.
It is very significant that Canon will include the 18-55 IS (Image Stabilization) lens as their standard kit lens with the XSi. The updated IS version features an aspherical lens element and is far superior in image quality to the older non-IS version 18-55mm f3.5-5.6. In addition the kit lens features Optical IS to compete with the body-integrated IS featured by Sony, Pentax, and Olympus.
The Digital Rebel XSi features:
- 12.2 Megapixel CMOS sensor
- Canon's EOS Integrated Cleaning System
- 3.5 frames per second
- 3.0" LCD with Live View shooting
- 9-point wide-area AF system with f/2.8 cross-type centre point
- Picture Style image processing parameters
- DIGIC III image processor
- Digital Photo Professional RAW processing software1
- Compact and Lightweight body
- Fully compatible with all Canon EF and EF-S lenses and EX-series Speedlites
US List prices are $799 for the body only and $899 for the kit with 18-55mm IS lens. Europe Prices are €749 Body only and €849 Kit with 18-55mm IS Lens.
News source: AnandTech