DaVinci Resolve is the world’s first solution that combines professional offline and online editing, color correction, audio post production and now visual effects all in one software tool. You get unlimited creative flexibility because DaVinci Resolve makes it easy for individual artists to explore different toolsets. It also lets you collaborate and bring people with different creative talents together. With a single click, you can instantly move between editing, color, effects, and audio. Plus, you never have to export or translate files between separate software tools because, with DaVinci Resolve, everything is in the same software application.
DaVinci Resolve is the only post production software designed for true collaboration. Multiple editors, assistants, colorists, VFX artists and sound designers can all work on the same project at the same time! Whether you’re an individual artist, or part of a larger collaborative team, it’s easy to see why DaVinci Resolve is the standard for high end post production and is used for finishing more Hollywood feature films, episodic television programing and TV commercials than any other software.
Important information regarding database management
DaVinci Resolve 17.3 requires a database upgrade from DaVinci Resolve 16.2.7 and previous versions. We strongly recommend that you back up your existing database (both DiskDB and PostgreSQL) and then restore that database for the upgrade before upgrading to this release.
There is no database change from 17.x.
DaVinci Resolve 17.3 changelog:
Apple Silicon Performance
- Up to 3x faster new processing engine enabling 8K edit and grading.
- Improved thru–latency and adjustable processing and input buffers.
- Improved export clips dialog with naming, metadata and format control.
- Edit selections in the timeline can now be nudged.
- In–Out ranges can be cleared and navigated to in the timeline.
- Timeline clips can be selected from the Fairlight edit index.
- Improved context–based defaults when adding new audio tracks.
- Improved Fairlight timeline ruler resolution.
- Gain curves show tooltip values when selected.
- Changing clip gain under an edit selection now adds bounded keyframes.
- Timeline clip names and gain curves can now be hidden.
- New timeline scroll options during playback – fixed, page and none.
- Buses can be reordered by dragging in the track index.
- Bus delay compensation can now be bypassed in the track index.
- Multiple selected tracks can now be deleted from context menu.
- New audio I/O preference options with support for separate I/O selections.
- Support for a wider range of Windows native audio devices.
- Support for multichannel I/O on Windows using Steinberg ASIO.
- Native Linux audio recording support using ALSA inputs.
- Improved mixdown support for LRC, 5.0 and 7.0 track formats.
- Improved edit, nudge and fade behavior for linked clips.
- Modify track and mixer parameters on all or selected tracks with modifiers.
- Pan, EQ and dynamics control dialogs accessible from Fairlight consoles.
- User configurable default grid size for Color Warper.
- User configurable default zone preset for HDR color controls.
- Active playheads can be switched by clicking on the split screen viewer.
- New anamorphic aperture controls for Resolve FX Aperture Diffraction.
- New shapes and finer mosaic control for Resolve FX Mosaic Blur.
- New rotation controls for Resolve FX Keyer garbage mattes.
- New sat and gamma controls and faster performance for Resolve FX Glow.
- List views in the media pool can be sorted from column selection.
- New badge to easily identify still clips on the timeline.
- Improved sync bin to ignore still images placed on top in the timeline.
- Edits from subclips can now be match–framed to original media.
- Shape and iris transitions can be rotated from the inspector.
- Play around selection now works with transition selections.
- Newly added subtitles retain playhead position to allow text preview.
- Compound clip instances in the timeline can be renamed.
- Fusion compositions can be renamed from the inspector.
- Options to name and use full clip extents when creating a subclip.
- Timelines and clips in smart bins can be duplicated from context menu.
- Improved context menus with quick actions for tabbed timelines.
- Option to retain timeline viewer overlays during playback.
- Media pool marker lists can be expanded using cursor keys.
- New badge to easily identify still clips on the timeline.
- Improved offset tooltips and thumbnails for mouse drags in the timeline.
- DRFX bundles can be double–clicked to install on Windows and Linux.
- Support for viewing the node type by holding Ctrl/Cmd–Shift–E.
Codecs and Deliver
- Support for audio encoding in the encoder plugin SDK.
- Optimized H.265 encodes for speed on Apple Silicon systems.
- Hardware accelerated AVC Intra decodes for on Apple Silicon.
- Support for decoding and encoding JPEG–HT .JPH image sequences.
- Support for decoding 12–bit DPX formats.
- Support for decoding AV1 clips on Mac OS and Linux.
- Hardware accelerated AV1 decodes in Nvidia on Linux.
- Hardware accelerated H.265 10–bit encode in AMD graphics on Windows.
- Hardware accelerated H.264 4:4:4 8–bit encodes in NVIDIA on Windows.
- Improved H.264 and H.265 decode performance in Intel on Windows.
- Support for decoding MKV clips with VP9 video codecs.
- Support for DFXP sidecar export options for DCP renders.
- Improved decode performance for MKV clips with AAC and AC3 audio.
- Support for encoding ISDCF compliant audio channels for DCP packages.
- Support for embedding MPEG2 bitstream captions in XDCAM clips.
- Improved startup speeds for disk databases with many projects.
- Support for simplified database creation and connection process.
- AAF imports now support translation of simple nested clips.
- New Resolve FX Motion Blur in DaVinci Resolve Studio.
- New Resolve FX Frame Replace in DaVinci Resolve Studio.
- JKL playback with stop and go to last position now works correctly.
- Timelines can be located in media pool from smart bin context menu.
- Media, inspector and other panels can be scrolled using middle click.
- Scripting API support for Gallery, Gallery Album and GalleryStill objects.
- Scripting API support for adding video or audio–only clips to the timeline.
- Addressed PostgreSQL installation issues on some Windows systems.
- General performance and stability improvements.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware