Debotnet is a free and portable tool for controlling Windows 10's many privacy-related settings and keep your personal data private.
The Windows 10 default privacy settings leave a lot to be desired when it comes to protecting you and your private information. Whenever I set up a new computer or update a current setup for my family or job, I always carefully go through the privacy settings for each install, making sure to lock it down to make it as private as possible.
Windows 10 has raised several concerns about privacy due to the fact that it has a lot of telemetry and online features, which send your data (sensitive and not) to Microsoft and can't be disabled. Most of it seems pretty legit stuff when telemetry is set to basic. If you don't trust them, Debotnet can help you to prevent Windows 10 from sending your data to Microsoft.
The most important features at a glance
- Disable telemetry and online features, which send your data (sensitive and not) to Microsoft
- Choose which unwanted functions you wish to disable
- Uninstall Windows 10’s Built-in Apps
- Debotnet will show you what it's doing. You have full control, because the executing code can be viewed in a simple text editor
- Debug mode. E.g. the Test mode lets you see which values are twisted in registry or commands executed
- Simple scripting engine for adding custom privacy rules
- Scripts updated on GitHub
- Modern and familiar UI, with template support
- Small footprint. No installation required. Portable
- 100% Free Software (CC BY 4.0)
Debotnet 0.7.510 changelog:
- Fixed critical bug in running executables (some script files, e.g. ninite apps required elevated rights to be started, although they could be executed with normal user rights. This was possible in v0.7.0 and is now possible again)
- Optimized some scripts regarding removal of bloatware apps
- Renamed Debotnet Classic theme > Debotnet Retro
- Otther UI Improvements on theme Retro theme, The Goat theme
- Minor bug fixes
Check also the latest blog entry about this release
An Introduction to Debotnet Packs with support for Chocolatey Software Installations.
Changes in Debotnet 0.7.6:
- Fixed critical bug in redraw of GUI which could lead to a black UI form (this always happens at the first start of Debotnet and as soon as the system is rebooted after executing scripts) Issue #43
- Optimized startup routine and welcome screen
- Added option to open Debotnet Packs/Marketplace URL (Import > Find more packs ...)
- Added package chocolatey software (this is an experimental feature and can disappear in feature versions of Debotnet as it also provided as optional package)
- Removed package deprecated apps from default shipping (for getting this package again visit the Debotnet Packs/Marketplace)
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware