In the spirit of the first day of Macworld, Google has announced new improvements to the integrated Google experience on the iPhone. By navigating to www.google.com with their iPhone Safari browser, iPhone users will discover that the search giant has taken the previous version and streamlined the interface even further, making the applications faster and improving their usability. Google explains that the experience is made possible by the iPhone"s general usability and the capabilities of its web browser, combined with the company"s innovative mobile web applications. Google plans to expand this experience to international versions of the iPhone and to other platforms that offer similar usability and browser capabilities. Macworld attendees can see a live demo at booth #1268 in the South hall.
Improvements of the new service include:
- Improved UI: The applications look and feel slicker, and they are easier to activate, navigate and use via a touch-screen.
- Customization of default tabs: Now Google users can have easy access to their favorite applications by customizing the applications that appear on the Google.com menu bar. Users simply choose their favorite Google applications to bring them to the front menu, ensuring that they"ll be close at hand whenever they"re needed. Switching between applications is effortless, as users only need to sign in once to access their Gmail, Calendar, Reader, Docs, and Picasa accounts.
- Speedier Gmail: New emails will automatically show up so there"s no need to manually refresh inboxes. And the new auto-complete feature for contacts makes composing emails faster than ever.
- Speedier Calendar: With our new month view, users can glance at an entire month of appointments.
- iGoogle: Now Google users can access their iGoogle gadgets on the iPhone. Everything they"ve customized on their iGoogle homepage including weather, stocks, and news feeds now appear on their iPhones. To go to iGoogle, simply click on the iGoogle link on the Home tab. You can customize your iGoogle page on your computer at www.igoogle.com.