GSmartControl is a graphical user interface for smartctl (from smartmontools package), which is a tool for querying and controlling SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) data on modern hard disk and solid-state drives. It allows you to inspect the drive's SMART data to determine its health, as well as run various tests on it.
GSmartControl supports ATA drives (both PATA and SATA), various USB to ATA bridges and drives behind some RAID controllers. See Smartmontools USB Device support page for an (incomplete) list of supported USB to ATA bridges.
Supported RAID controllers:
- Adaptec (Linux, some models only)
- Areca (Linux, Windows)
- HP CCISS (Linux)
- HP hpsa / hpahcisr (Linux)
- Intel Matrix Storage (CSMI) (Linux, Windows, FreeBSD)
- LSI 3ware (Linux, Windows)
- LSI MegaRAID (Windows)
Note: Smartmontools supports even more RAID Controllers. The drives behind such controllers can be manually added to GSmartControl using "Add Device..." functionality or --add-device command-line option.
- automatically reports and highlights any anomalies
- allows enabling/disabling SMART
- allows enabling/disabling Automatic Offline Data Collection - a short self-check that the drive will perform automatically every four hours with no impact on performance
- supports configuration of global and per-drive options for smartctl
- performs SMART self-tests
- displays drive identity information, capabilities, attributes, device statistics, etc...
- can read in smartctl output from a saved file, interpreting it as a read-only virtual device
- works on most smartctl-supported operating systems
- has extensive help information.
GSmartControl 1.1.2 changelog:
- Fixed gsmartcontrol-root not passing GDK_SCALE and GDK_DPI_SCALE variables to gsmartcontrol when using PolKit.
- Fixed blurriness of icons in the main window with GDK_SCALE=2.
- Tweaked the main window interface.
- Windows: Show volume labels beside drive letters in icon tooltips.
- Windows: smartctl 6.6 is bundled with the packages now.
Changes in GSmartControl v1.1.3:
Fixed gsmartcontrol-root not launching if GDK_* variables are not set.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware