The Linux Foundation has announced that a further 34 organisations have joined its ranks. 29 of the new recruits, including HP, have joined as Silver members while the other 5 enlisted as Associate members. Members of the Linux Foundation help support the development of open source software and in turn benefit from software.
According to the Linux Foundation, upon joining the organisation, many of the new members joined some of the existing projects including Automotive Grade Linux, the Ceph Foundation, the Cloud Native Computing Foundation, Hyperledger - a blockchain collaboration project, LF Edge, and Zephyr.
Discussing the new members, Jim Zemlin, executive director at the Linux Foundation, said:
“We are extremely excited to see 34 more companies make the commitment to open source by joining the Linux Foundation. We are extremely excited to see 34 more companies make the commitment to open source by joining the Linux Foundation”
Among the Associate members that have joined up, we’ve got the UK’s University of Wolverhampton and the Iowa State University of Science and Technology. In previous expansions, the Linux Foundation has had government agencies and not-for-profit organisations join up. Just like companies, these organisations help build, sustain, and use open source technology.
Many of the new sign-ups focus on the Internet of Things and blockchain technologies. One of the other big names that signed up today is Blockstream, a leader in bitcoin and blockchain technology. Blockstream currently has several blockchain initiatives on the go and acts as one of the largest contributors of funding to the popular Bitcoin Core wallet.
The full list of organisations looks like this:
- anynines GmbH provides Cloud Foundry consulting, training, development and PCF and OS CF operations.
- Beijing T2Cloud Technology Co., LTD develops cloud platform products for IT infrastructure assessment, implementation, operation, and maintenance services.
- Blockstream is the global leader in Bitcoin and blockchain technology and our products and services form the foundations for the financial infrastructure of the future.
- Chainbelow Inc is a not-for-stock, not-for-profit software startup corporation with several open source projects.
- Chaincode Labs exists to support and develop Bitcoin and other peer-to-peer decentralized systems.
- ControlPlane allows you to build configuration profiles, contexts in ControlPlane lingo, for your Mac based on where you are or what you are doing.
- Crave.io creates infrastructure for Software and Chip design engineers.
- Dianomic simplifies IoT application and system development with a ubiquitous open source platform.
- Exactpro Systems Limited specializes in quality assurance services and related software development with focus on test automation for securities data distribution, trading systems, risk management, market surveillance and post-trade infrastructures.
- Flant designs, deploys, and maintains fault-tolerant, highly scalable infrastructure, typically based on Kubernetes, Linux and other Open Source gems.
- HP Inc. vision is to create technology that makes life better for everyone and every community around the globe.
- iNNOVO Cloud GmbH stands for virtual private cloud solutions with modular selectable components and service components in the modular system.
- ITMS Technologies (Beijing) Co. provides a full range of training services to clients in Greater China.
- Keysight Technologies is the world’s leading electronic, measurement company, transforming today’s measurement experience through innovations in wireless, modular, and software solutions.
- KUKA Deutshland GmbH is one of the leading suppliers of intelligent automation solutions.
- LeanIX GmbH boosts companies’ growth and enables digital transformation by establishing a SaaS-based information hub for their IT architecture.
- Mainflux is an open-source IoT cloud platform for the development IoT solutions, IoT applications and intelligent products.
- MobiledgeX is creating a marketplace of edge resources and services that will connect developers with the world’s largest mobile networks to power the next generation of applications and devices.
- Myndshft Technologies solves real-world, complex business problems through the pragmatic application of process automation, artificial intelligence, and blockchain technologies.
- OSIsoft delivers an open enterprise infrastructure to connect sensor-based data, systems and people.
- Pluribus Networks specializes in network virtualization for private and public cloud datacenters.
- Pure Storage provides enterprise, all-flash data storage solutions that deliver data-centric architecture to accelerate your business for a competitive advantage.
- SAIC integrates multiple disciplines to provide their customers with resilient solutions that accommodate rapid improvements in technology
- Section.io is the only website performance, scalability, and security platform which gives developers the control they need to achieve unmatched website speed and reliability.
- SkySilk Cloud Services offers simple, scalable, and customizable cloud computing resources for any developer or business.
- STMicroelectronics: ST is a global semiconductor leader delivering intelligent and energy-efficient products and solutions that power the electronics at the heart of everyday life. ST’s products are found everywhere today, and together with our customers, we are enabling smarter driving and smarter factories, cities and homes, along with the next generation of mobile and Internet of Things devices.
- Storj Labs provides decentralized cloud object storage that is affordable, easy to use, private, and secure.
- VA Linux Systems Japan K.K. provides Linux based solutions and consultancy services such as fault and performance analysis, individually tailored kernel development, and consulting services.
- Vapor IO provides the industry’s first infrastructure edge computing solution. The Kinetic Edge enables new and innovative edge-driven applications at unprecedented levels of performance.
- Automotive Edge Computing Consortium focuses on increasing network and computing capacity to accommodate automotive big data smartly between vehicles and the cloud using edge computing and more efficient system design.
- Infrastructure Masons provides infrastructure executives and technical professionals an independent forum to connect, grow and give back.
- Iowa State University of Science and Technology is a public university where students learn from world-class scholars who are tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges – feeding the hungry, finding alternative fuels and advancing manufacturing.
- LTSI is an ecosystem-wide collaborative project to create and maintain long-term sustainable kernel for the industry that contains additional features such as cutting edge device support as well as security and bug fix patch available in community long-term maintenance kernel.
- University of Wolverhampton offers undergraduate and postgraduate degrees, teaching informed by world-leading research, strong business links, and state-of-the-art facilities.
Many other big technology companies have already joined the foundation. Several members include Microsoft, Google, IBM, Intel, AT&T, Huawei, Oracle, Qualcomm, Samsung, Tencent, and Facebook.