HP's TouchPad has received a $50 discount as well as a new version of their WebOS firmware. As TechCrunch reports, WebOS 3.0.2 boasts some new features and will take advantage of the 'over-the-air' update system, meaning the tablet will download it automatically. The latest firmware boasts a number of changes, but the discount is perhaps more enticing for new buyers. The reduced price will last until September 10th, and both versions of the device have been reduced by $50. The 16GB tablet now retails at $449, while the 32GB version retails for $549.
WebOS 3.0.2 offers the following alterations, to a number of different applications.
- Quicker 'Just Type' event search and event creation.
- Improved handling of meeting cancelations.
- Faster scrolling
- Improved message content and image display.
- Improved management of multiple emails in Draft and Outbox view.
- Reduced audio skips when the device is running multiple applications.
- Better display of album art.
Photos and Videos
- Added ability to set wallpapers.
- Faster and more reliable handling of individual photos and albums.
- Improved speed and accuracy of auto-corrections.
- Increased scrolling support compatibility within web pages.
- Improved remote HTML5 video playback.
- Improved responsiveness of auto-correct within the browser.
WebOS also improves the over-responsive screen rotation some devices experienced, as well as adding some new security updates. The changelog can be read here. The HP TouchPad was released on July 1st in the United States and July 15th in Canada, UK, France, and Germany.