Inno Setup is a free installer for Windows programs. First introduced in 1997, Inno Setup today rivals and even surpasses many commercial installers in feature set and stability.
Inno Setup key features:
- Support for every Windows release since 2000, including: Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Windows 2000. (No service packs are required.)
- Extensive support for installation of 64-bit applications on the 64-bit editions of Windows. Both the x64 and Itanium architectures are supported. (On the Itanium architecture, Service Pack 1 or later is required on Windows Server 2003 to install in 64-bit mode.)
- Supports creation of a single EXE to install your program for easy online distribution. Disk spanning is also supported.
- Standard Windows 2000/XP-style wizard interface.
- Customizable setup types, e.g. Full, Minimal, Custom.
- Complete uninstall capabilities.
- Installation of files:
Includes integrated support for "deflate", bzip2, and 7-Zip LZMA/LZMA2 file compression. The installer has the ability to compare file version info, replace in-use files, use shared file counting, register DLL/OCX's and type libraries, and install fonts.
- Creation of shortcuts anywhere, including in the Start Menu and on the desktop.
- Creation of registry and .INI entries.
- Running other programs before, during or after install.
- Support for multilingual installs, including right-to-left language support.
- Support for passworded and encrypted installs.
- Support for digitally signed installs and uninstalls.
- Silent install and uninstall.
- Unicode installs.
- Integrated preprocessor option for advanced compile-time customization.
- Integrated Pascal scripting engine option for advanced run-time install and uninstall customization.
- Full source code is available (Borland Delphi 2.0-5.0 and 2009).
Changes in Inno Setup 5.5.6:
- Added the Windows 10 "compatibility" section to the various manifest resources used by Inno Setup. This enables any check for the operating system version to get the real version number (10.0) instead of getting the same version number as it did in Windows 8.1 (6.3).
- Added new [Setup] section directive: SignToolRetryCount, which defaults to 2. Specifies the number of times the Setup Compiler should automatically retry digital signing on any errors.
- Added new [Setup] section directive: SetupMutex. Can be used to prevent Setup from running while Setup is already running.
- Fix: Console-mode compiler (ISCC) change: Renamed /DO and /EO command line parameters to /O- and /O+ to avoid possible conflicts with /D.
- Pascal Scripting change: Unicode Inno Setup: Added new functions VarIsClear and UnpinShellLink.
- Inno Setup Preprocessor (ISPP) change: Added new function ForceDirectories.
- Unicode [Code] based on RemObjects Pascal Script Git commit db0d6f521113a31b34a76aeefd79fb148a9c4bfd.
- Various documentation improvements. Contributed by jogo- via GitHub.
- Minor tweaks.