John Oliver's latest topic on his show Last Week Tonight is the Apple vs FBI encryption battle, and he explained it in the way that only he can.
Comedy has always been a fantastic way to help people understand things. He references the Crypto Wars, showing that two decades ago - the last time the government wanted a back door for encryption - hackers were able to infiltrate the encryption.
Oliver does a great job of explaining the situation, showing Tim Cook's response, as well as government officials'. He also notes that it's clearly not an issue of "just this one time", saying, "Nobody seriously believes that is going to happen".
Here's a few gems from the video:
- "Think of the government as your dad. If he asks you to help him with his iPhone, be careful, because if you do it once, you're going to be doing it 14 times a day."
- "It might be an iPhone today, an Android phone tomorrow, and a BlackBerry phone the day after that, assuming that the day after that is in 1998."
- "There are lots of things we can't do, even though we've been to the moon. For example, we are yet to master time travel, or figure out why Hulk Hogan dresses for court like he's a pallbearer at a boa constrictor's funeral."
- "Rose gold looks like someone vomited a salmon dinner onto a pair of dirty ballet shoes."
- "'Scary security flaws' is one of those three word phrases they absolutely hate to be associated with, like 'corporate tax avoiders' or 'factory suicide nets'."
Image via Daily News