Kodi (formerly known as XBMC), is an award-winning free and open source cross-platform software media player and entertainment hub for digital media for HTPCs (Home theater PCs). Its graphical user interface (GUI) allows the user to easily browse and view videos, photos, podcasts, and music from a hard-drive, optical disc, local network, and the internet using only a few buttons.
Kodi can be used to play almost all popular audio and video formats around. It was designed for network playback, so you can stream your multimedia from anywhere in the house or directly from the internet using practically any protocol available. Use your media as-is: Kodi can play CDs and DVDs directly from the disk or image file, almost all popular archive formats from your hard drive. Kodi will scan all of your media and create a personalized library complete with boxcovers, descriptions, and fanart. There are playlist and slideshow functions, a weather forecast feature and many audio visualizations. Once installed, your computer will become a fully functional multimedia jukebox.
Most notable changes to mention in this Release Candidate:
- Update documentation regarding Python and Skin develoment: Kodi Doxygen
- Fix crash on certain music files that contain ID3v2 UFID frame
- Do not list non-repo add-ons as "unavailable" in info dialog (the by default included ones)
- Fix some interface info labels regarding music
- Fix none responsive when minimising on Mac OSX
- Fix path for looking up external subtitles
- Replace vc140 redis with vc141 which fixes crashes on Windows (user should at least install this once)
- Windows DXVA - fixed color values
- Fix GUI Notifications rendering
- Fix watched items in plugins (contains database upgrade)
Of course there are several more changes which are listed on the github repository found here: RC4 changes.
- Fix crashes by pressing 'x' to stop DVD .iso image when "Player Process Info" is displayed
- Screenshot: simplify logic and bail out if no folder is set
- Android: remove mpeg4 HD restriction / use dts for unknown pts for mpeg4 (there might be some playback regressions that will be fixed along the way)
- Change resolution (if required) on application starts (fixes XBXO resolution issues)
- Android: Reset calibrations if GUI limit changes
- Android: fix subtitle position problems
- Fix resolution whitelist issues on Windows
- Extend option to hide spoilers like text or images from the library view
- Add support for new iOS devices
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware