I'm a little late with this one but opensource deathmatch game Nexuiz has been updated to version 2.5
Nexuiz is a 3d deathmatch game that has been in development since the summer of 2002. The goal of the project is to create a high quality first person shooter that can be played freely across all platforms in one package: PC, Mac, and can be even included in Linux distributions. The game is entirely open source, with the sources of the engine, gamecode, map files, and compiling tools, all included with the download, all under the GPL license.
New features include:
- Completely redone HUD and user adjustable scoreboard
- Totally rewritten Client/Server communication to cut the bandwidth usage in half
- New gamemode "Race". Try to get from start to end of a level as fast as possible. Available as free-for-all and team variant. Further allows to play with or without a qualification period.
- Added several new weapons (on-hand Grappling Hook, Port-O-Launch, T.A.G. Seeker, Heavy Laser Assault Cannon, Rifle)
- Map editor NetRadiant included
- Improved all effects for eye candy and tweakability
- All maps recompiled with external lightmaps which allow for much crisper shadows
- Added maps desertfactory (DM, TDM, MinstaGib), racetrack (Race) and made aggressor support Key Hunt
- New player sounds, announcer sounds/voices, textures, crosshairs, weapon models, effects and menu skins
- Added support for video capture to OggTheora
- Integrated the Havoc mod into the menu! Havoc servers use quite different physics and weapons, give it a try!
- Fixed a crash with ATI drivers on shutdown or vid_restart
- Fixed several problems with lagging gameplay/crashes/wrong display of effects
- Improved bots (teamworking, bunnyhopping, swimming, better way finding, support for ladders, less CPU usage, faster map loading)
- Better visual display of carried items (Strength, Shield, flags and keys)
- Better parental guidance support with cl_gentle and cl_nogibs
- Lots of tourney-related features (timeout/in, spectator-slots, allready, warmup mode, lockteams, unlockteams, movetoteam_red/blue/..., nospectators, records, cointoss)
- Added some effects customization options like cl_casings, cl_weaponpriority
- Many more map entities allowing for more dynamic maps
- Restructured and improved menu: demos menu and multiple campaigns are back, also added an advanced menu containing ALL settings of the game
The gameplay is deathmatch with the most excessive possible speeds and weapons, giving incredibly intense fast paced action. Along with deathmatch, there are muitple gamemodes such as team deathmatch, capture the flag, domination, and many mutators and weapon options like rocket arena and instagib. The user can fight through the single player campaign, going through over 20 levels, or play online with our server browser.
Nexuiz is based on the Darkplaces engine, built on OpenGL technology. The darkplaces engine is an advanced Quake1 based engine developed mainly by Forest "LordHavoc" Hale, who has been working with the Quake1 engine for many years. A few of Darkplaces main features are Quake3bsp support, realtime lighting and shadowing, new particle effects, advanced menu system, and Md3 model support.