First introduced a little over a year ago and rapidly seizing the mantle of fastest-selling Nintendo console in history, the Switch game platform has been steadily upgraded with great new features like video capture and the ability to transfer settings and saves. Today, System Update 5.0.0 was released to the world, bringing a range of improvements.
Gamers can now leverage social media to find their friends:
- Facebook and Twitter friends that also use Nintendo Switch can now be added through Friend Suggestions
There are also some new game themed icons:
- Select from 24 new ARMS and the Kirby series icons for your user
System-wide improvements include:
- Digital software purchases made from a PC or smart device will start downloading sooner than previously, even if the Nintendo Switch console is in Sleep Mode
- Filter News to view only unread news or news from specific channels
- To keep the Parental Controls PIN private, the default method for PIN entry has been changed to entering using the Control Stick and buttons instead of the on-screen number pad
- Captured videos in the Album will be restricted by Parental Controls depending on the Restricted Software setting and Software Rating Organization
- Using the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, add specific software titles to your whitelist to exclude them from the console’s Parental Controls Restricted Software setting
- Receive notification when pre-purchased software is ready to play
- Nintendo Switch Pro Controller grip colors will now display in the Controllers menu
Lastly, this new version brings some system stability improvements to enhance the overall experience, including the below:
- Resolved an issue that caused Play Activity to display incorrectly in the Profile section of your User Page
To grab this update, dive into the Switch settings menu, find your way to the very bottom "System" area and the update will come your way by hitting "System Update". As with past updates, it is always best to finish any games in progress or stop play and save your progress, as completing the update requires a reboot.