OnePlus has released a new preview build of OxygenOS, the customized version of Android that runs on its handsets. The new Open Beta is now available for the OnePlus 3 and 3T, and brings a wide range of new features and enhancements.
Among the changes is a new version of OnePlus' Ambient Display feature, which is designed "to help stop accidental wakes while pulling the phone out of your pocket". OnePlus says that "activation of the screen now requires a 'double tap' action." A new Lift Up Display feature has also been added, which "turns on the screen to peek at notifications when the device is lifted."
Along with improvements to the user interface in various pre-installed apps, the company has also introduced an "all new OnePlus Font", which is available in English, Chinese and Japanese.
Here's the full list of improvements and changes in OxygenOS Open Beta 17/8:
- New additions:
- Ambient display 2.0
- Lift up display
- Sharing functionality for Shot on OnePlus
- All new OnePlus Font (Available in English, Chinese, and Japanese only)
- UI Improvements:
- Gallery v1.7
- Recorder v1.6
- Weather v1.7
- File Manager v1.7
- Other UI refinements
- Enhanced launching speed of 3rd-party apps
- Optimized management of foreground and background processes
- Other changes:
- Setup wizard adjusted to suit the style of Android 7.1
- Refined contact import process from SIM card, now supports dual numbers and an email address
- Automatically add corresponding country codes when making calls during roaming
- Updated Android Security Patch level to 1st May 2017
Details on how to download and install the new beta can be found here on the OnePlus site. Bear in mind that if you join the Open Beta program, you'll receive beta updates over-the-air, but if you want to switch to stable official releases later, you'll have to wipe your phone first.