If youre running the Windows RT 8.1 Preview, Outlook 2013 RT is now available to add to your collection of Office 2013 apps loaded as part of the operating system update. The client is mostly unchanged from the version of Outlook available as part of Office 2013 for x86 machines, although a number of enterprise features have been removed.
Microsofts Office IT Pro Blog has listed everything thats not available in Office 2013 RT, citing "special needs for security and mobility" as reasons why Windows RT tablets dont get these features. Heres a quick breakdown of the missing features:
- For mailboxes, theres no Online Archive or Personal Archive mailboxes, or Site Mailboxes
- No Messaging Records Management retention policies
- No Data Loss Prevention policy tips
- Theres no support for Information Rights Management on new email messages
- No macros, add-ins or custom programs can be run
- Microsoft Lync isnt integrated into Outlook 2013 RT; neither is SharePoint
- No support for fax accounts
- The app cant be configured through Group Policy
The Office IT Pro Blog also clarified enterprise licensing for Office 2013 RT in both Windows RT and the Windows RT 8.1 Preview, stating that as long as you have a commercial use license or commercial license for Office 2013 that includes Outlook, youll be able to use Outlook 2013 RT in a business environment.
While the current version is just a Preview and seems relatively stable, come the final release of Windows RT 8.1, Office 2013 RT should be updated and fully ready for everyday use.
Source: Office IT Pro Blog