Paint.NET is an image and photo manipulation application. Every feature and user interface element was designed to be immediately intuitive and quickly learnable without assistance. In order to handle multiple images easily, Paint.NET uses a tabbed document interface. The tabs display a live thumbnail of the image instead of a text description. This makes navigation very simple and fast.
Usually only found on expensive or complicated professional software, layers form the basis for a rich image composition experience. You may think of them as a stack of transparency slides that, when viewed together at the same time, form one image.
Many special effects are included for enhancing and perfecting your images. Everything from blurring, sharpening, red-eye removal, distortion, noise, and embossing are included. Also included is our unique 3D Rotate/Zoom effect that makes it very easy to add perspective and tilting.
Adjustments are also included which help you tweak an image's brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, curves, and levels. You can also convert an image to black and white, or sepia-toned.
Changes in Paint.NET 4.0.11:
- New: Rounded Rectangle's corner size ("radius") is now configurable
- New: Overscroll can now be disabled from within Settings
- Fixed: The Zoom tool was broken in 4.0.10
- Fixed: Auto scroll will no longer engage overscroll. This prevents the image from shooting off in all directions when drawing on it or when making a selection.
- Fixed: Panning with the middle mouse button would sometimes be "sticky", as reported at http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/110131-dragging-with-the-mouse-wheel-is-sticky/
- Fixed: Effect rendering performance had significantly regressed in 4.0.10, by as much as 50%, on Intel CPUs with HyperThreading. http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/110090-paintnet-run-significantly-slower-on-windows-10-compared-to-windows-7/
- Fixed: Selecting the entire image and then using Zoom to Selection or the Zoom Tool would align the image in an awkward manner
- Fixed: In rare cases, Settings -> Plugin Errors was hanging the whole system (bug in WPF?). This UI is now implemented in WinForms instead of WPF. http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/110002-plugin-error-screen-complete-pc-freezelockout/
- Fixed: Some more high-DPI issues, especially when using multiple monitors with mixed DPI, or when using Remote Desktop