Paint.NET is an image and photo manipulation application. Every feature and user interface element was designed to be immediately intuitive and quickly learnable without assistance. In order to handle multiple images easily, Paint.NET uses a tabbed document interface. The tabs display a live thumbnail of the image instead of a text description. This makes navigation very simple and fast.
Usually only found on expensive or complicated professional software, layers form the basis for a rich image composition experience. You may think of them as a stack of transparency slides that, when viewed together at the same time, form one image.
Many special effects are included for enhancing and perfecting your images. Everything from blurring, sharpening, red-eye removal, distortion, noise, and embossing are included. Also included is our unique 3D Rotate/Zoom effect that makes it very easy to add perspective and tilting.
Adjustments are also included which help you tweak an image's brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, curves, and levels. You can also convert an image to black and white, or sepia-toned.
Paint.NET 4.0.20 Beta changelog:
- New: Dark Theme. See blog post
- New: NET Framework 4.7 is required, and will be automatically installed if needed. See blog post.
- New: Explorer thumbnails now work for TGA and DDS file types
- Improved: High DPI layout, especially for 200% scaling and above
- Fixed: a lot of High DPI bugs, especially in Levels and Save Palettes
- Fixed: Color Picker tool was not always honoring the "Switch to previous tool" setting
- Fixed: a data loss bug when saving very large images (greater than 4GB): https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/111823-large-image-save-bug/
- Fixed: Plugins will no longer crash the app on Windows 10 S (note, however, that plugins other than custom Shapes do not work on Windows 10 S)
Changes in v4.0.20 Build 6568 Beta:
- Fixed glitchy text input for NumericUpDown controls.
- Fixed rendering of the Image List button for Dark theme (it's the button to the right of the list of images at the top of the window)
- Fixed and improved another big basket full of various High DPI issues
- Fixed the arrow keys not working properly until the second shape (or line/curve) was drawn. And this unearthed two low-level bugs in Canvas UI framework!
- Fixed the zoom slider being "wiggly" as it was being dragged around
- Fixed a toolbar layout glitch where it would grow taller when a ComboBox (e.g. pen width, font chooser) was removed (i.o.w. when you would resize the main window to be less wide).
- Fixed a glitch with the resize handle at the lower-left corner of the main window
- Fixed a crash in the Shape tool renderer (BadNumberException via ID2D1Geometry::GetWidenedBounds)
- Fixed a hang in the Frosted Glass effect
- Fixed a hang in the Levels adjustment
- Fixed: toe_head2001 had earlier reported a bug on Win7, you could switch Paint.NET to use Dark, and then switch Windows to use Classic, and then Paint.NET's UI would be suuuuuuper confused about which one it should be using.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware