Paint.NET is an image and photo manipulation application. Every feature and user interface element was designed to be immediately intuitive and quickly learnable without assistance. In order to handle multiple images easily, Paint.NET uses a tabbed document interface. The tabs display a live thumbnail of the image instead of a text description. This makes navigation very simple and fast.
Usually only found on expensive or complicated professional software, layers form the basis for a rich image composition experience. You may think of them as a stack of transparency slides that, when viewed together at the same time, form one image.
Many special effects are included for enhancing and perfecting your images. Everything from blurring, sharpening, red-eye removal, distortion, noise, and embossing are included. Also included is our unique 3D Rotate/Zoom effect that makes it very easy to add perspective and tilting.
Adjustments are also included which help you tweak an image's brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, curves, and levels. You can also convert an image to black and white, or sepia-toned.
Paint.NET 4.1.6 Build 7010 Beta changelog:
- Improved: The newly updated app icons should now look a lot better at 120 DPI (125% scaling) and 144 DPI (150% scaling)
- New: Layers -> Rotate 180 (thanks @null54!)
- New: Move Layer commands are now present in the Layers menu, not just on the Layers window
- New: Plugins can now use the UIScaleFactor class, which makes it easy to make decisions about DPI and scaling
- Changed: Settings -> Plugin Errors now shows up even if there are no plugin errors. This ensures consistency, especially with the newly asynchronous nature of plugin loading (otherwise there's no way to distinguish "no errors" from "not done loading plugins").
- Changed: File -> Open Recent now has up to 10 images (up from 8 )
- Fixed: Items in the File -> Open Recent menu will no longer get bigger or smaller when moving between monitors with different DPIs
- Fixed: "Bad" plugins can no longer ruin the undo system by rendering outside of the selection (thanks @BoltBait for helping out with this!)
- Improved: When many images are open, Paint.NET now closes significantly faster (thanks @Bruce Bowyer-Smyth for the fix!)
- Improved: Image thumbnail list at the top of the main window now reacts to horizontal mouse wheel or trackpad swiping
- Improved: The Text Tool's "Font Size Metric" button now has a tooltip explaining it
- Fixed a crash when running GPU effects (e.g. Black & White) on very large, very tall images (this was actually fixed in the alpha build 7000)
Changes in v4.1.6 Build 7012 Beta:
- Fixed the random crash when running most an effect with a selection (reported by lots of folks!)
- Fixed the crash when changing the "Translucent Windows" setting if you have certain plugins installed (reported by @AndrewDavid)
- Fixed the annoying tooltips in the statusbar (reported by @BoltBait) -- I'll get back to these after the migration to .NET Core 3 is completed, as this is a bug in WinForms. For now, tooltips are just disabled in the status bar, which is the same behavior as 4.1.5 and earlier.
- Fixed the blank B/I/U/abc buttons when using the Blue theme (reported by @Rob.van.Grieken)
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware