Paint.NET is an image and photo manipulation application. Every feature and user interface element was designed to be immediately intuitive and quickly learnable without assistance. In order to handle multiple images easily, Paint.NET uses a tabbed document interface. The tabs display a live thumbnail of the image instead of a text description. This makes navigation very simple and fast.
Usually only found on expensive or complicated professional software, layers form the basis for a rich image composition experience. You may think of them as a stack of transparency slides that, when viewed together at the same time, form one image.
Many special effects are included for enhancing and perfecting your images. Everything from blurring, sharpening, red-eye removal, distortion, noise, and embossing are included. Also included is our unique 3D Rotate/Zoom effect that makes it very easy to add perspective and tilting.
Adjustments are also included which help you tweak an image's brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, curves, and levels. You can also convert an image to black and white, or sepia-toned.
Paint.NET 4.2.1 Build 7151 Beta changelog:
- New: JPEG XR file type support
- Fixed: Holding Ctrl when dragging a selection with Move Selected Pixels will again leave a copy behind (but only with the mouse)
- Fixed crashes when saving DDS images
- Fixed VTF plugin compatibility; it was not working in 4.2 except for images that were an exact power-of-2 size on each dimension
- Fixed: .BMP files can be opened even if they're not actually BMP images (they still need to be a valid WIC-supported file type such as PNG, JPEG, etc.)
- Fixed (stabilized) menu ordering of effect plugins that have duplicate names
- Fixed metadata handling that was preventing some images with EXIF tag 330 from being able to load
- Fixed metadata preservation for old images that pad EXIF string values with null terminators
- Fixed title bar text color when using certain custom accent colors in Windows 10
- Fixed very bad performance when opening large images with embedded rotation metadata
Changes in v4.2.1 Build 7152 Beta:
- Fixed: JPEG XR support is limited to Windows 8 or newer (it doesn't work on Windows 7)
- Fixed: The old JPEG XR plugin is no longer blocked if you're using Windows 7 (btw it's actually more accurate to call it an HD Photo plugin)
- Fixed: The mouse wheel may now be used to scroll the Palettes menu in the Colors window (thanks @AndrewDavid for the suggestion and @toe_head2001 for the fix!)
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware