Paint.NET is an image and photo manipulation application. Every feature and user interface element was designed to be immediately intuitive and quickly learnable without assistance. In order to handle multiple images easily, Paint.NET uses a tabbed document interface. The tabs display a live thumbnail of the image instead of a text description. This makes navigation very simple and fast.
Usually only found on expensive or complicated professional software, layers form the basis for a rich image composition experience. You may think of them as a stack of transparency slides that, when viewed together at the same time, form one image.
Many special effects are included for enhancing and perfecting your images. Everything from blurring, sharpening, red-eye removal, distortion, noise, and embossing are included. Also included is our unique 3D Rotate/Zoom effect that makes it very easy to add perspective and tilting.
Adjustments are also included which help you tweak an image's brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, curves, and levels. You can also convert an image to black and white, or sepia-toned.
Paint.NET 4.2.2 Build 7186 Beta changelog:
- New: AV1 (*.avif) images can now be opened (saving is not supported). Windows 10 v1809+ and Microsoft's AV1 Codec are required (download: https://www.microsoft.com/p/av1-video-extension-beta/9mvzqvxjbq9v)
- New: DirectDraw Surface (*.dds) support has been greatly improved due to bundling @null54's DDSFileTypePlus plugin. All DX10/DX11 formats should now be supported (e.g. BC4, BC5, BC6H, BC7), and encoding (saving) will make use of the GPU to greatly improve performance. Note that it's not longer necessary to use the ".dds2" file extension.
- Improved: Startup performance has been improved
- Fixed: EXIF metadata of type Float and Double are now supported. This ensures GeoTIFF metadata is preserved.
- Fixed: Opening an image should no longer flicker because the transparency checkerboard was being drawn first
- Fixed: TGA images that are 16-bit with 1-bit alpha with a zero'd out alpha channel are now treated as opaque. This allows images from 5CC Map Maker (for Close Combat modding) to work. Thanks @null54 for the fix!
- Fixed: JPEG XR's file extensions (*.jxr, *.wdp, *.wmp) are now registered with Explorer
- Fixed: Pasting images that use RGB pixel ordering should now work (this affects PaintTool SAI)
Changes since 4.2.2 beta build 7186:
- New: 4-bit saving is now supported for PNG, BMP, and TIFF
- New: The palette selection menu will now indicate which palette is currently active (thanks @null54 for the implementation!)
- Improved: Startup performance has been further optimized, especially for quad-core (or more) CPUs
- Updated: @null54's bundled DDSFileTypePlus plugin has been updated to version 18.104.22.168
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware