Pale Moon is a custom-built and optimized Firefox-based browser for Windows operating systems with current, high performance processors. It looks identical to the standard Firefox browser and supports Firefox extensions, themes and identities.
- Highly optimized for modern processors
- 100% Firefox sourced: As safe as the browser that has seen years of development.
- Uses slightly less memory because of disabled redundant and optional code
- Significant speed increases for page drawing and script processing
- Stability: experience fewer browser crashes.
- Support for SVG and Canvas, and downloadable fonts including WOFF
- Support for HTML5 and WebGL (v4+)
- Support for Firefox extensions (add-ons), themes and personas
- Support for OOPP (Out-of-process plugin execution)
- Able to use existing Firefox bookmarks and settings with this migration tool
What's new in this version:
This is mostly a bugfix, security and performance update, but with a number of new features as well, based on the Firefox 20 code base. Full details can be found in the Release notes.
New/updated/changed major features:
- Per-window Private Browsing. Learn more.
- Panel-based download manager. See the detailed changelog for more information.
- Ability to close hanging plugins, without the browser hanging.
- Performance improvements related to common browser tasks.
- Pale Moon specific Cairo performance fix for scaling/panning/zooming of HTML5 drawing surfaces.
- Pale Moon specific fixes for performance of drawing elements (gradients, etc.).
- HTML5 canvas now supports blend modes.
- Various HTML5 audio and video improvements.
- Update of the Status Bar code to work with the new code base.
- ECMAScript for XML (E4X) is kept available for add-ons. Note that this will be removed in future versions as E4X is obsolete.
- Developer tools have been enabled by default, considering the code is practically impactless unless actually used.
- Theming has been worked on to provide better contrast on glass/dark themes and to work around styling issues present in v19.
- Updated fallback character sets to Windows-1252.
- Restored legacy function key handling (uplifted from Firefox 22).
- Fixed UNC path handling (Chemspill Firefox 20.0.1).
- Always enable the use of personas, also in Private Browsing mode.
- Experimental: support for H.264 videos (disabled by default)