There is another PC game giveaway happening and this time its not from the Humble Store. Paradox Interactive's classic Crusader Kings II is completely free to claim on Steam for the next two days. The grand strategy title released in 2012, and while jumping into a genre like this may seem intimidating at first, the new price point should help in alleviating at least some of those fears.
Here's the game's list of key features taken from its store page:
- Start a game at any point between 1066 and 1337 and play until 1453
- Pick a Christian lord and make sure his dynasty survives as you play a succession of his descendants through the ages
- Gain Prestige for every successive character you play, furthering the glory of your Dynasty
- Expand your feudal domain - and keep it from falling apart
- Unravel the plots of your courtiers and vassals, each with their own opinions and agendas
- Take up the Cross and fight the Moor, the Heathen and the Heretic.
- Defend against the onslaught of the Mongol Horde
- Struggle with the Pope for control of the bishops
- Relive the Middle Ages with up to 32 other players in a competitive multiplayer mode
Note that only the base game is being given away for free, and being a Paradox game, there are plenty of DLC packs that may also be purchased, which are having a discount period on Steam right now as well. And here's a handy guide on what each DLC does and which ones are the most notable according to the game's dedicated Reddit community.
Crusader Kings II would normally cost $39.99, but it is completely free to claim through its Steam store page by clicking the 'Install Game' button. The game is playable on Windows, macOS, and Linux, with the giveaway slated to end at 10am PT on April 7.