Pidgin is a chat program which lets you log in to accounts on multiple chat networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on IRC, talking to a friend on Google Talk, and sitting in a Yahoo chat room all at the same time.
Pidgin is compatible with the following chat networks out of the box: AIM, ICQ, Google Talk, Jabber, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, and Zephyr. It can support many more with plugins.
Pidgin supports many features of these chat networks, such as file transfers, away messages, buddy icons, custom smilies, and typing notifications. Numerous plugins also extend Pidgin's functionality above and beyond the standard features.
Pidgin 2.13.0 changelog:
- Unified string comparison. (PR #186) (Arkadiy Illarionov)
- Properlly shell escape URI's when opening them. (PR #271 Daniel Kamil Kozar)
- Fix a one byte buffer overread in function purple_markup_linkify
- Fix an issue were utf8 was incorrectly truncated which could lead to crashes as we were potentially feeding garbage into glib/gtk.
- Fixed build against curses 6.0 with opaque structs set. (#16764 dimstar) (PR #268 Daniel Kamil Kozar)
- Fixed a crash when resizing the window. (#16680 marcus) (PR #269 Daniel Kamil Kozar)
- Fixed bashism in autotools. (#16836 lameventanas) (PR #267 Daniel Kamil Kozar)
- Show XEP-0066 OOB URLs in any message, not just headlines
- Fix a user after free (#17200 debarshiray) (PR #266 Ethan Blanton)
- Removed pipelining from BOSH connections (#17025 PR #295 Tom Li)
- Don't try to TLS already secured BOSH connections (#17270 PR #293 Tom Li)
- Fix "Registration timeout" on SASL auth with InspIRCd servers (and possibly others not based on charybdis/ratbox/ircd-seven)
- Fix issues with plugins that modify outgoing messages (such as the custom PART/QUIT feature of the IRC More plugin)
- Fix IRC buffer handling. (#12562 PR #272 Shivaram Lingamneni)
- Properly handle AUTHENTICATE as a normal command with server prefix. (PR #316 dx)
- Fix a crash caused by a use after free of the MOTD.
- Fix an out of bounds read in irc_nick_skip_mode.
- Fix a write of a single byte before the start of a buffer in irc_parse_ctcp.
- Better support for dark themes. (#12572 Alyssa Rosenzweig and Gary Kramlich)
- Fixed IPv6 links by not escaping 's. (#16391 cyisfor) (PR #270 Daniel Kamil Kozar)
- Only write buddy icons to the cache if they're not already cached. (PR #276 David Woodhouse)
- Rejoin persistent chats after reconnect. (#15687 PR #285 Christof Meerwald)
- Made the WIN32 Transparency plugin work on all platforms. (#3124 PR #287 Daniel Kamil Kozar)
- Ensure search results buttons are labeled (Backport from de2d88e575ee)
- Fix matching unicode smilies. (#17232 gnubfx PR #262 Daniel Kamil Kozar)
- Correctly update mute/unmute status when the remote side mutes/unmutes us. (#17273 PR #302 David Woodhouse)
- Rework the status icon blinking to not used deprecated API. (#17174 zelch PR #264 Daniel Kamil Kozar)
- Don't allow adding a buddy to protocols that don't have an add_buddy callback. (#4061 Paradox)
- Fix handling of search results (#17238 David Woodhouse)
Voice & Video
- Port backend-fs to newer api for farstream relay-info property (#17274 bellet)
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware