PrivateWin10 is an advanced privacy tool for Windows. It provides a simple and comprehensive UI for tweaking privacy settings, as well as options to block system access to files and registry keys in order to enforce privacy whenever Windows does not provide a satisfying setting for that.
To solve privacy issues with other software the tool includes a powerful custom firewall frontend for the Windows built in firewall.
This new build includes a major new feature, a DNS proxy that can be used to blacklist domains using Pi-Hole blacklists, as well as a manual wildcard and regex supporting blacklist. Using priv10 as system wide DNS proxy ensures effective domain blocking as some MSFT components are known to bypass the regular system hosts file and query DNS servers directly, with a DNS proxy intercepting the requests this bypass becomes ineffective.
The default blacklists contain a lot of ad blocking such that in addition to improved privacy the new feature provides system wide ad blocking.
PrivateWin10 0.60 changelog:
- added DNS proxy to monitor all DNS requests
- added ability to set priv10 as system DNS
- added DNS Query Log based on DNS Proxy events
- added system DNS cache monitor
- added dns proxy page
- added dns querry log
- added dns blacklist/whitelist page
- added dns blocklists page
- added blocklist update mechanism
reworked DNS Inspector class
changed from tne .NET reverse dns facility to using native windows API's for better performance
dns inspector can now be switched on or off
issue where the accept button in the notifiction window would get disabled again
issue with aplpyung rules when some rules were already present for the given programm
issue saving gpo's, sometimes it failed with a file is in use error
issue where file blockign tweaks were never shown as available after a recent change
Changes in v0.60.1:
- added upstream dns diplay to the dns proxy page
- fixed critical hang issue when not using the system event log
- issue where a custom upstream dns would not be displayed
- fixed issues with copying text from datagrids
- the process sometimes fails to terminate when closed and needs to be terminated using a task manager
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware